• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dyidawg
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2010

Cleaning up a BT3000

Good Evening....
    Recently purchased a used 1995 BT3000 off of CL for a cheap price. The machine runs great with the exception of the blade lift mechanism.

My question to the group is this saw was used on the jobsite and has paint splatters over the tray tops, rails and rip fence. There is also some minor rust to the exterior housing, but I believe that is just cosmetic.

Does anyone have a suggestion for cleaning up this machine, removing the paint and trying to get it back to a near new appearance? Is that even possible?

As to the blade mechanism....it is really stiff. I plan to take this apart tomorrow and would appreciate any advise in cleaning, lubing, etc for a smooth raise and lower function.

Thanks is advance to all.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

i think to some extent the surface treatments and elevation problems are addressed in the BT3 FAQ. Look to my sig line below to request a copy.

then come back with any issues.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I put up an on-line Users' Manual here if that helps at all. Loads of exploded parts diagrams, etc. if you need them.

You'll probably find that the lift mechanism is caked in crud - the hardended and compacted sawdust variety. Have a look by taking off the left-hand side panel (viewed from the front). If you can get an airling to it, brilliant. If not, a pointed awl is OK for getting the big stuff clear.

You may also have to take off the right-hand side panel too, but I'd loosely re-fit the LH side first to prevent racking of the rest of the frame. Good hunting and let us know how you get on.

Ray
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

The blade/raise lower issue could be a couple problems. Most likely it just needs a good cleaning. Next would be the shims on the sliding bracket are missing. Lastly if the saw has the blade guard/riving knife installed if it is not aligned properly it will bind on the back of the blade slot in the table.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...