• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mnmphd
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Jig Saw Mounting

I recall that there was an accessory that allows one to mount a
    jigsaw in the accessory table. Is this still available, or a DIY equivalent?

thanks
  • natausch
    Established Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Aurora, IL
    • BT3000 - 15A

I've seen them listed on ebay and I don't imagine it would be impossible to modify a router plate to accept a jig saw... but I can't think of a more dangerous application of wood cutting.

My thought is that scroll saws are very reasonable used and band saws are also readily available and have a host of safety features.

Comment

• docrowan
      • Mar 2007
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

It is no longer available commercially, but sometimes people on this forum will sell a kit. There is also an article in the archives on how to make your own.
      - Chris.

Comment

• phi1l
        • Oct 2009
        • Madison, WI

I would strongly advise against using a jigsaw in a table saw accessory extension. The vibration the jigsaw will severely test the tightness of every nut & bolt on the TS. after using the jigsaw you can count on having to retune all teh saw adjustments.

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by phi1l
          I would strongly advise against using a jigsaw in a table saw accessory extension. The vibration the jigsaw will severely test the tightness of every nut & bolt on the TS. after using the jigsaw you can count on having to retune all teh saw adjustments.
          Do you know this from experience or is it just speculation? I do not recall if I had problems when I used mine years ago. When using any power tool in the accessory table it is rather critical to also use the Acc table clamp, which secures the Acc. table to the rear rail.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• phi1l
            • Oct 2009
            • Madison, WI

Resonance frequencies can be tough to figure out. I have a relatively small shop area so I go for multi-taskers wherever possible. So one of the first things I tried with a 24"x 39" router table I am experimenting with was to screw my jig saw to it to see if I could put off getting a band saw a little longer. But the whole table vibrated so much it was hard to hold a piece of wood steady. I do have a heavy duty jig saw, it was the top of the line scrolling jig saw at sears in the early 80's. My table is quite massive for a router table, it's gotta weigh well over 100lbs, but it would boogie all over the shop. From what I can tell, jigsaw technology has changes a bit since mine was made. So new ones might not vibrate a much as mine, How much vibration you get is pretty much a function of the resonance frequency of the whole system relative to vibration rate of the jigsaw, so it wouldn't surprise me that a different combination could do better, but it is not something I would count on.

Comment

• RayintheUK
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Triton supply a jigsaw kit for their router table - purpose made and capable of holding a large number and variety of jigsaws. However, it is complete with a fully-adjustable overhead guard, with dust extraction and blade guide blocks similar to a band-saw, to prevent the blade tip from wander, etc. as well as enclosing it. Even with this set up correctly and used carefully, it's not anywhere near as accurate as a scroll saw and should not be considered for precise working.

Picture courtesy of http://woodworkingcentre.com

I'm aware this might seem to have no bearing on the Ryobi kit, but my point is that unless it contains a minimum of the above Triton features, I'd forget it altogether.

Ray
              Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

its not hard to make, just poke the blade up through the hole inthe center of the router plate (or make a special plate with a smaller hole. Locate any mounting holes inthe skid plate on the bottom of the jigsaw and drill corresponding holes to screw the jig saw upside down to.

Given that, though, and the descriptions above, its hard to see why you would want to do this.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

phill thanks for clearing that up. So if I'm reading you right then you are simply speculating. Thoughtful speculation at that. I think it is important that when folks guess that they disclose the nature of their guess. Like I mentioned I have mounted my cheap $39. wal*mart jig saw in my BT3K. I do not recall any really bad things happening but I do remember that the cuts were not satisfactory. I've since sold my mounting plate but before that moved on to a band saw. A jig saw can be useful in this application in very limited ways, but in no way is it an ideal tool or set-up.
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

It can be a "make do" arrangement. On occasion doing installations, I've had to mount a jigsaw under a substrate. The thickness of the substrate puts the cutting area higher on the blade. There is the problem of wander and vibration. With due diligence, it works, but not with the predictability of a band saw or a scroll saw. There are those that don't have those tools.

I would suggest if that is the only method available to allow a fudge factor to be left that can be sanded back to a line.

Comment

• tribalwind
                      • Feb 2004
                      • long island, ny.

when i first saw this idea i thought it was really cool and would come in handy. but ive never needed it,and really i cant think of a situation where i'd turn to this operation rather than jigsaw by hand or use a router with a template for interior cuts where a bandsaw cant be used.
                      as for vibrating everything loose..maybe with a real cheapie jigsaw.i had an old one that nearly vibed my arm out it's socket..
                      my jigsaw now is the bosch barrel-grip type with variable speed.i've owned 2-3 other jigsaws,and this one is AWESOME . NO vibration if you use the right speed and proper feed rate and good sharp blade.in fact all my bosch tools have been awesome, highly recommend it
                      namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

Working...