• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SJL_Computing
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Need correct insert for Router / Accessory Table

Hi,

I have a BT3100 with an extra accessory table that I use as a router table. I have the Ryobi insert plate, and the red circular insert that fits the 2.5 inch hole perfectly. But it does not have the rabbeted groove to hold standard Porter Cable guide bushings.

Does any one know where I can get an insert for the accessory table that has a centered hole with the ridge to hold flush the router bushings?

I may have found this one at Bench Dog but unlike the 3.5 inch model, this does not say if it holds the standard template guide bushings.

http://www.routertabledepot.com/gubuinforstb.html

I think this is the 3.5 inch one and it does hold the bushings, but I need 2.5 inch, possibly this: http://www.tylertool.com/benchdog-40-129.html
    but I cannot tell from the ad or photo if it holds the bushings.

Thanks in advance
    Steve

PS I do have a universal router base that holds these bushings, but if I attach it to the accy table it must go underneath, making the distance from the router collet to the table top too far for the router bit. Needless to say, I need a setup that has the bushing perfectly flush with the accy table.
    Last edited by SJL_Computing; 03-02-2010, 11:03 PM.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

i'm not aware of a router insert for the BT3x auxiliary tables that will hold a PC-style bushing.

i don't think there's any standards for router inserts so i don't think another brand will fit. and the Ryobi ones are thin plastic, so won't hold a bushing really well anyway.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-02-2010, 11:35 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phi1l
      • Oct 2009
      • Madison, WI

My understanding is that the guide bushings go on a router sub-base, not on an insert. If you want to use guide bushings on a table, you would put the sub-base on the router before mounting the router on the insert.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by phi1l
        My understanding is that the guide bushings go on a router sub-base, not on an insert. If you want to use guide bushings on a table, you would put the sub-base on the router before mounting the router on the insert.
        FYI, there are insert rings that accept guide bushings. The set I bought for my JessEm lift includes a ring with the typical stepped hole for a Porter-Cable style bushing. Woodpeckers offers such a ring, too, and other vendors probably do as well. But as Loring says, Ryobi isn't one of them (AFAIK) and the rings generally fit only one brand of lift or insert plate.

Also, many bushings have collars too short to reach through the thickness of an insert plate plate. That is, if you mounted the bushing to the router's subbase, and then to the plate, the collar wouldn't be long enough to do you any good.
        Last edited by LarryG; 03-03-2010, 08:35 AM.
        Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LarryG
          FYI, there are insert rings that accept guide bushings. The set I bought for my JessEm lift includes an insert with the typical stepped hole for a Porter-Cable style bushing. Woodpeckers offers such an insert, too, and other vendors probably do as well. But as Loring says, Ryobi isn't one of them (AFAIK) and the inserts generally fit only one brand of lift or plate.

Larry's right. My Woodpecker plate has some aluminum insert rings; there's one with the proper size stepped hole to hold a PC-style bushing set if I wanted.
          Also my router sub-bases can fit PC bushings with an adapter or Bosch quick-release bushings, as well. Various aftermarket router sub-bases (like Vermont American) will also accept bushings of their style.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phi1l
            • Oct 2009
            • Madison, WI

Originally posted by LarryG
            FYI, there are insert rings that accept guide bushings. The set I bought for my JessEm lift includes a ring with the typical stepped hole for a Porter-Cable style bushing. Woodpeckers offers such a ring, too, and other vendors probably do as well. But as Loring says, Ryobi isn't one of them (AFAIK) and the rings generally fit only one brand of lift or insert plate.

Also, many bushings have collars too short to reach through the thickness of an insert plate plate. That is, if you mounted the bushing to the router's subbase, and then to the plate, the collar wouldn't be long enough to do you any good.
            Thanks, Larry, I wasn't aware of that, I have a table with an aluminum insert that is only about 1/6 of an inch so about all guide bushing s work with the addon sub-router base..

Comment

• SJL_Computing
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006

To Phi1l - if the guide bushings go on the router base or the subbase, they will be too low to protrude above the accy table. Remember, I am attaching the router to the table, and moving the work piece around the router bit. Thanks anyway.
              Steve

Comment

Working...