X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobsBT3000
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2010

New BT3000 owner with questions!

I was able to get a 1992 BT3000 from a thrift store this morning. It came with the stand, casters a router top part but no sliding miter table. It also came with the bad switch, it is always on! This one was not used with a shop vac and it took an hour to get all the sticky sawdust out of it. I checked the shims and they are fine. I do need to get some parts like the clamp thing on the back end of the fence(not really needed I think), the handle for the crank, one small screw that is missing and a switch that works. I took it all apart and cleaned it and got it all back together except the panel that holds the outlet. I also need the lever things that allow the fence rails to come off quickly. I have two on the back but just bolts on the front rail. Mine has very long rails, did they all? It allows cuts to 24 inches. I need some arbor wrenches too. I see that Ryobi made some kind of miter slot attachment for this saw but I bet its not cheap. Anyone made their own? I have printed the manal and parts list. Oh I also do not have a splitter/guard for it..
    Thanks for any help/advice on the saw! I will play with it this week and decide if I want to keep it or use my cast iron top craftsman direct drive saw.
    Thanks
    Rob
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Welcome aboard... The very first thing you should do is PM a member here ("LCHIEN")and give him your e-mail addy, so he can send you a copy of the FAQ that he so generously maintains. There is a wealth of valuable info about your saw there. Also, member "RayintheUK" has a tutorial available that will help you immensely. After you digest these, if you have any questions left, the guys here will be happy to help you.

Have fun, but remember to be safe. Even the "old salts" around here get careless once in a while, usually resulting in some photos you really don't want to see...

Comment

• phone60
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2010
      • Philadelphia, PA
      • ryobi BT3100

Welcome aboard. If you decide to keep the saw you can go to:http://www.searspartsdirect.com , there you can find all that you need.

Comment

• jdon
        Established Member
        • Feb 2010
        • Snoqualmie, Wash.
        • BT3100

I'm also new to the forum, having recently bought a BT3000 (also with a bad switch). There was a recall on the switch, so I called Ryobi customer support. Very helpful- at first wanted me to take the entire saw to a service center, but after I whined just a little about how it would be difficult (it's not a cordless drill, after all), she agreed to ship a replacement switch directly to me (no charge). Only a little bit of fiddling to install the new switch- less stylish, but more robust. eReplacementParts.com is another source for parts- prices seem to be a bit better than other sources, but make try to figure out all the parts you might need- shipping is something of a killer.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Parts are also available online at M&D Mower, and also on Ebay (search "BT3000").

Comment

• RobsBT3000
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2010

thanks guys, will order the switch from Ryobi and begin my parts quest with the websites you mentioned. Will get the FAQ also.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

standard rail length on a BT3000 was 42"

You do want the rear clamp working on your rip fence - its important.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Welcome to the Asylum, Rob!

Long time BT3000 owner. The biggest problem with the saw is the shims and, since you have already confirmed they are good, it should be worth the time and effort to get the rest of it in top shape.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

A thrift store? I don't think I have ever seen any tools in a thrift store. I would think they wouldn't want the potential liability.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. It's a great place to get all the information you need and lot you don't .
                  Joe

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by JoeyGee
                    It's a great place to get all the information you need and lot you don't .
                    Hey! I resemble that remark...

Comment

• RobsBT3000
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2010

Joey, It was more of a junk store actually. It was buried in the back behind some matresses! Never know what you will find. I had some time this weekend to strip it completely down and check it out.
                      Ordered the switch due to the recall today...
                      Needs a few minor parts but overall good shape, but ugly.
                      It was missing the miter slide assembly but I have an idea for a quick and dirty crosscut sled that will straddle the aluminum casting table top with a runner on each side of it. I have the fence setup and aligned and will thow some wood on it in the morning and see what happens. Looks like someone did not know there was a kit for installing a router and he made his own holes in the top but done nicely.

Comment

• pecker
                        Established Member
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by RobsBT3000
                        but I have an idea for a quick and dirty crosscut sled that will straddle the aluminum casting table top with a runner on each side of it. .
                        Be careful with that. Due to the design of the saw, the blade is not necessarily parallel to the side edges of the tabletop.

You might just get non square cuts...but you might also get burning/binding, etc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by pecker
                          Be careful with that. Due to the design of the saw, the blade is not necessarily parallel to the side edges of the tabletop.

You might just get non square cuts...but you might also get burning/binding, etc.
                          exactly right...
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Dyidawg
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Mar 2010

Similar Story

I purchase a used BT3000 this week for $65. The machine needs some cleaning but runs great. It appears to be 1995 week 44 model. Same as above for the power switch, but mine actually turns on and off. No Miter table, so I have the same question about building mine own (eBay has one for $175 + shipping, seems expensive).

I need a part for the fence to lock it in place. The plastic piece on the front underside is missing.

As for the shims.....the blade moves up and down. but not smoothly. So this weekend I plan to take it apart and clean it. Probably needs a lube. Any suggestions?

I appreciate any help.....

Aldo

Comment

Working...