X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Thank you and good bye

Thank you all for all the support you have offered as I tried to get the saw in aligned (which I think I finally did).

I grew up around woodworking, but never really attempted much on my own. I was hoping to find a hobby that would help relax me and give me some satisfaction by being able to make some things that I could take pride in.

I have spent about a month or so messing, reading, playing, and trying. I have come to the decision that wood working is just not for me. I have more frustration and dissapointment than when I started, which isn't good. Apparently I don't have any of even the basic skills that I thought I had. The old saying that tools don't make a woodworker is true. You need talent, and I just don't have it. To admit openly, I have failed miserably at everything I have tried. So far I have been unable to make even the simplest pushblocks and featherboard jigs. I really need a bench to work on, but the truth is I just don't have the skills to make one, even a simple one with plans in front of me. I've never been very good at "visualizing" things. I was hoping that if I spent some time playing with things, I would start to get some ideas and inspirations. Nothing, zip, zilch, nada.

So, time to be honest with myself and admit, I dont' have the creativity or patience for woodworking. My hat is off to those of you who can do this.

PS, I gave my saw to a friend who had been wanting a table saw. It's in a good home. Maybe I can get some karma from that at least.

Thanks again and best of luck to each of you. Keep all ten attached.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

If you do read this, I will add a note about not being "gifted" in this work. I grew up with WW and do have the ability to "visualize". (My ability to do things free-handed is changing for the worse though.) I have a cousin whom I would say is like you. Back about 30 years ago, he wanted to make a picnic table. He got a set of plans, studied them like the scholar he is, took 3 months or so, doing one step at a time. I was embarrassed at my work back then - as compared to his work of art with the fit and finish of that table, - and he is not an artist, just a scholar.

He took his time, did things one step at a time, took time to sand each board and cut, assembled it and it was a gorgeous piece of work. He did not have the talent that I did, or the ability to visualize either. Even today, he does not have it. But his creation then and occasionally now is remarkable just because he takes things one step at a time, waits until he understands the next step then continues on.

BUT, since you have given your saw away . . to paraphrase another quote - Better to have tried and lost than never have tried at all!

Yes, you did have problems, but IMO, you had much greater ability than you are giving yourself credit for!

SMALLER Projects: Try pen turning. Quicker rewards but much more expensive. The first pen costs about $2000, and after that , the price per pen drops considerably!
    Last edited by leehljp; 02-06-2010, 09:25 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • On the TARDIS
      • BT 3100

Remember-The expert in anything was once a beginner
      From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Sorry to hear that. I really am.

I have no ego big enough that prevents me from saying I pretty much suck at woodworking. OK, maybe that's a bit harsh, but I certainly don't have the innate "talent" that most here do. Worse than that, I lack patience. Not a very good combo for this hobby. I did give it up for awhile, but couldn't resist getting back in. I love it too much.

I guess if you don't have the love for it, it's just not for you.

Please do stick around. This forum is maybe 50% woodworking, and 50% good BS.
        Joe

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I'm not too proud to admit, I stink at this. But I get better, and better with each project. Just because you aren't good at a thing the first time out, doesn't mean you won't be...

I am glad to hear your BT is going / has gone to a good home, I am saddened though that you have decided not to stick with it. There is a joy to creating, or even the process. Admittedly though, if you aren't "feeling it" then it may not be for you...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

The longest journey begins with one step. No reason to turn back just because your first step was into a pothole... There can be another time, and another saw. Try not to expect so much of yourself in the beginning...

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by sailor55330

I have spent about a month or so messing, reading, playing, and trying. I have come to the decision that wood working is just not for me. I have more frustration and dissapointment than when I started, which isn't good. Apparently I don't have any of even the basic skills that I thought I had. The old saying that tools don't make a woodworker is true. You need talent, and I just don't have it. To admit openly, I have failed miserably at everything I have tried. So far I have been unable to make even the simplest pushblocks and featherboard jigs. I really need a bench to work on, but the truth is I just don't have the skills to make one, even a simple one with plans in front of me. I've never been very good at "visualizing" things. I was hoping that if I spent some time playing with things, I would start to get some ideas and inspirations. Nothing, zip, zilch, nada.

So, time to be honest with myself and admit, I dont' have the creativity or patience for woodworking. My hat is off to those of you who can do this.

With all of your excuses for quitting, you never mentioned that you may have enjoyed whatever you did. In your mind you may think you've failed. Is it carved in wood that everything we do has to be successful?

I disagree that there is a "natural talent". Woodworking steps can be learned, but doing it all on your own could be a problem for you. Just reading, watching videos, or forum replies may not be the best learning processes.

There are many steps that can be explained in a post, and still be clear as mud. But, having a hands on tutor to guide you through the project might bring "enjoyment" and "relaxation" to whatever woodworking you're doing, instead of you experiencing the frustration of making mistakes, all by yourself. It's a lot easier to show someone how to do something than telling how in a post.

What I'm suggesting is before you bag the whole idea, see if there are any woodworking clubs in your local area. If there is a Woodcraft store near you, they conduct hands on classes. There are short term courses in different facets of woodworking. Some schools have adult education type courses in woodworking.

Woodworking can be a hazardous hobby if you are working with the "failure thing" in the back of your mind. The enjoyment and relaxation may come from the progression of the simple steps along the way during the project. The outcome may not always be as expected. And, to top it all off, you have a bunch of friends here to share your successes and failures.

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Sorry to hear wwing has been so frustrating to you. There are times that I really screw things up, destroy hours of progress, and have a tough time visualizing what I'm trying to do, and it can be pretty frustrating. Then there are other times when there's good clarity and things go along without a hitch....obviously I enjoy it better when things go well! I used to joke that I needed downtime to recover from "relaxing" in the shop!

It sounds like you've given this decision ample thought, so I won't try to persuade you to do otherwise, but I will offer this....you didn't mention your age....I didn't even start wwing until after I was 40. At 25 I couldn't imagine me having the patience for for this, but the tendency is to gain patience as you age...food for thought if you're a "spirited" young man.

All the best in whatever you pursue.
                Last edited by Knottscott; 02-07-2010, 09:33 AM.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• drillman88
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Southeast
                  • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

Everyone here, at every skill level, reaches a point of frustration at some point. Sometimes we have bad days, sometimes we have to figure out how to do something with the tools we have at hand, and sometimes we see that what we planned on doing just isn't going to work. When you get to the point where you hit the wall it is best to move on to a diffferent step in a project or maybe try another project. Sometimes I put my tools down and let the frustration subside until my head clears.
                  Maybe take a break and work out a different approach, Cabinetmans mentor idea is a sound one. I have a couple of friends that I ask for ideas and help. My Dad is also very skilled and clever in alot of different areas.
                  It really does help to cut down on the frustration when you can talk things through with a source of knowledge.
                  I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• sailor55330
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2010

Wow, thank you for the support. I never figured on all the comments. I figure if you can take the time to ask, I can certainly ask (I have new found time now).

I'm 40, so I'm not "spirited" any more, but in many ways, I'm worse now. At 25, getting something functional was ok. Now, my standards are higher than they have ever been. For me, it's either perfect, or fail. I don't know why, but it is and it can be maddening. Here's an example, I bowl in a league and shot a 255 the other night and a 3 game series of 734, but all I could think about was the 3 shots that got away and cost me the 300. High personal standards I guess, I don't know. What I do know is that if I don't hit the standards I seem to demand, then I dwell on it and it drives me nuts, taking away the enjoyment.

The class ideas were good and I have looked around. My local community college doesn't offer (liability with tools apparently) and the 1 Woodcraft store I have (I looked this morning as I hadn't thought of that) was a little pricey, with classes starting at over $100 and reaching up to $500. Plus, I don't think acoustic guitars are a good starter project....lol. My local Rockler isn't offering anything.

Whether or not there is natural talent or not, some people sure seem natually more inclined to certain things. It's always possible that I cut myself short on the learning curve, but I doubt it.

Comment

• eezlock
                      • Feb 2006
                      • Charlotte,N.C.
                      • BT3100

thank you and goodbye

Sailor, I think that part of the problem is you have your "goals" set wrong.
                      What I mean is this, no problem with high expectations from your work,
                      but you are not getting satisfaction from the smaller and intermediate "goals"
                      that are in there first. If you had started with very small, easily accomplished
                      projects at the outset of woodworking instead of looking at the bigger more involved ones, I think you would be better able to move from a starter
                      position to an advanced one, then to a higher level. I, myself had to look and
                      think back and still do at times on my abilities in this hobby. I got into it
                      about 5 or 6 years ago, that was after taking high school shop classes
                      over 40 years ago.....and trying to remember all I learned then and how it
                      still applies to today's woodworking! It is hard, but can be done...I'm not quitting now after that long of a wait! Hope this helps, a little anyway.
                      eezlock

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by sailor55330
                        It's always possible that I cut myself short on the learning curve, but I doubt it.
                        You don't have to live with that decision forever... Give it a little time, and start again, a bit slower. Find a niche that doesn't require a shop full of expensive tools, like maybe some scroll sawing, or picture framing, and work your way to a comfortable level from there.

You are right that the frustration from flubbing a job can be difficult, but it is that same mindset that helps bring on so much satisfaction from the victories, particularly in making things that you can give to others, so they can enjoy the personal touch you have given them. That, and woodworking is truly a hobby where you can learn from your mistakes. That is why most of us are so darned smart!

Comment

• drillman88
                          • Dec 2007
                          • Southeast
                          • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

Maybe you can go to Rockler or a local lumber dealer that woodworkers frequent and talk to the staff to see if there are any regular customers who they think would be willing to help you learn. There are many people that would like to pass on what knowledge they've accumulated. They also had to start somewhere and at some point been frustrated so they know where you are coming from. They may not be familiar with exactly what you want to do but many of the same techniques can translate from area to another. Especially layout and pattern making.
                          I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• annunaki
                            • Jan 2008
                            • White Springs, Florida
                            • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Everyone starts out as a Beginner.

A toddler has to learn about falling and overcoming fear and impatience before mastering walking.

Think about when you learned to drive a car.
                            It was kind of overwhelming at first, and you were so anxious to learn-we all were, but it had to be done carefully,and eventually a point was reached where
                            it all became reflexive.

The car is a machine like your other tools. They don't require special "Gifts" like vocal abilities, or acrobatic skills of great balance and coordination needed to walk the High Wire or Ice Skate, -just standard issue basic dexterity.

From Baby steps to Bicycles, you just have to give yourself time to grow.
                            You can't rush a Garden.

Edison failed over 6,000 times before perfecting the first electric light bulb.
                            On one occasion a young journalist challenged Edison saying to him, "Mr. Edison, why do you keep trying to make light by using electricity when you have failed so many times? Don't you know that gas lights are with us to stay?"
                            To this Edison replied, "Young man, don't you realize that I have not failed but have successfully discovered six thousand ways that won't work!"
                            Perseverance pays!

When asked how he acquired his great "skills", Rudolph Valentino responded -
                            "Practice, lots of practice"!
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• crybdr
                              Established Member
                              • Dec 2009
                              • Lake Mills, WI
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Please don't give up yet.....maybe you can tell your friend that the saw is a loaner....?

My first official project with this saw was a 'weather station'. I was very excited and jumped right in.

Three 3" purchased dials (temp, humidty, & barometric pressure) - to be mounted in a plank of oak. Simple enough.....3 holes in a rectangular board. I even put a decorative edge on the board using a freehand router.

Everything was going great for a simple project. But, I messed up the finish - brushed the poly on too thick and went back in to try to fix it - bad idea. I smeared it up good.

Anyway, I noticed it and realized I couldn't fix it. So I let it be...That project was done, and I learned from it - and I moved on the the next one.

But... the weather station hangs proudly on my parent's wall. And...as I look at it now, I don't see the imperfections. It is still MUCH better than a store-bought item - I made it! That's the real point. And I learned from it.

Since then I've made many other items large and small - from cutting boards to bedroom furniture. None of them are perfect (no one else can see the imperfections, it's only the woodworker that sees it usually) - but I remember each little mis-step that led to the imperfections I see. My work has improved significantly from learning from the mistakes I've made.

It's a humbling but necessary thing to experience - admitting that things did not go as planned. But, like any endeavor, it's the only true way to improve. What we do is complex - each tiny mistake builds upon subsequent mistakes.

This is how we learn. And it has led me to SLOW DOWN & think twice before cutting- be it with a saw, planer, chisel, router, etc. 'What is my intended outcome and what has happened in the past?' Nearly all of my 'rushed' or 'hurried' cuts have lead to subsequent frustration.

High quality tools do not lead to high quality works in the hands of the unexperienced. Unleash me in a fully outfitted woodworking shop and I can muck-up a project right-quick!

We learn from mistakes to reduce imperfections. Mistakes=Imperfections. My tuned BT3100 is a relaible tool that will still show imperfections based on my mistakes.

Also, just remember that wood in it's nature is imperfect (knots, grain, warp, tension, pressure) - how can one expect perfection working with an imperfect medium? Only through experience - even then 'perfection' is a lofty goal.

Hopefully we'll see you back here in time.....It's a great hobby, and the learning curve is as steep as you want to make it...

Comment

Working...