• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

New BT3100 owner.....hello, frustrated and some questions

Hello,

I wanted to take a second and say hello. I have been around woodworking all of my life, but never really got into it that much, however, the wife has some projects and I desparately need a hobby in the winter. I just recently purchased a BT3100 at what I think is a fair price. Here's what I got.

BT3100 (plus all normal parts, ie, guard--it had never been installed from what I can tell, etc)
    Wide panel kit (extended rails) still in original bags
    All router mounting accesories including the fence that attaches to the rip fence, unopened
    Miter fence hold-down clamp
    Miter slot attachment
    Caster kit
    zero clearance throat plate(s)
    Steel Taper jig
    All of this is in excellent condition and some unopened...manuals for all. The only thing it is missing is the dust collector bag, which I'm not worried about

I picked all of this up for $225. I think I did ok, not great but ok. You tell me

Now, the bad. I am missing the rail endcaps for the front rails and 2 slides for the SMT. I have already ordered those from Ryobi--about $12 with shipping. I tried to fabricate the slides myself out of plexi, but it had a little too much wobble.

Now, the questions & frustrations

I have tried to align the SMT and have figured out that without all the slides in place, it is pointless......after 4 hours. Can someone please tell me that I am correct here?

Also, when I was going through the SMT adjustments to make the sled parallel, my manual states that the back rail clams should be loose. If I do this, the whole SMT assembly moves on the rails, not just the SMT tracks. And yes, the correct adjustment screws are loose. Is this normal?

Second.....the power of the saw.

I am really disappointed with the power the saw has. I currently have a 24T carbide Dewalt combo blade on it and attempted to rip about a 2ft piece of fir 2x4 to get a feel for the saw. I had a fair amount of burning and the saw's RPM dropped by at leat 35% if not more. My rate of feed was probably 1in every 4-6 seconds, so I don't think I was too fast on my feed rate. I had also calibrated my rip fence to parallel with maybe 1/64 of of inch of toe-out at the back to eliminate binding. Does this sound right?

Third....the lack of miter slots.

Even though I have the miter slot attachment, I don't read great things about it here. I am used to using cross-cut sleds and panel sleds on table saws with milled miter slots. Is the miter slot attachment good enough to use these type sleds?

Lastly, Good quality reasonably priced dados. I have seen 6in dado's at Sears and Lowes but both appear to be made and rebranded (Craftsman and Skill!). Is there a decent set of 6" carbide tipped dados for less than $100? I need to learn before I spend big.

Finally, the saw has some nicks and slight scratches on it (it has the black anodized aluminum rails). I have been cleaning them with alcohol and touching them up with some flat black automotive enamel. Any reason not to do this?

PS, one other thing....do you really have to take the blade guard off when ripping? My manual states that and it surprised me.

Thanks in advance for any information as it is appreciated.

Dave
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Welcome Dave!

I will comment on one item - power. Are you using an extension cord? Extension cords and the BT3x00 are not too fond of each other unless they are very HD cords. A second part is the wiring in the walls and circuit breaker. I have seen small wire gauge used in garages that can't handle the amps needed for the BT to maintain its speed and power.

A third aspect of this is - are you using a thin kerf blade? Full kerf blades in conjunction with the above will slow down the BT considerably. The BT does best with TK blades, but will work with full kerf. Feed rate must be considered at this point.

Some general points about the BT: it is a good precision saw and does well for those that treat it with kid gloves. It will not take the pounding like a cast iron saw does such as dropping a few 2X4s on the table or bouncing around in the back of a pickup from site to site. It will not take the fast feed rate of a cabinet saw or industrial contractors saw. But it will make precision cuts as well as any cabinet saw. This is such a subjective matter that people either love it or hate it . . . and it boils down to personal attitude, perception and expectation.
    Last edited by leehljp; 01-12-2010, 10:47 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• sailor55330
      Established Member
      • Jan 2010

Thank you for the quick thought Lee,

To answer your questions.

I would consider the blade to be a "medium" kerf so to speak. It doesn't strike me as particularly thin or excessively thick.

For the power, it is a dedicated 20 amp circuit wired with 12/3. I know this because I wired the room in my basement with this in mind. The only other thing that was running was a 500w halogen worklight for a little extra illumination. If this isn't adequate for the saw, I'm in trouble

As I said, my feed rate was about 1 inch every 3-5 seconds. I guess I should probably get a new blade regardless.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I think your feed rate is fine and the medium kerf is OK too. Your wiring is OK also. I will let some others comment on this. Sometimes a change in blade does wonders and sometime it doesn't. I would definitely give a new blade a try though.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Suggest you use the PM tool on this site to contact Loring (his member name is "LCHIEN") and give him your e-mail addy, so he can send you the latest updated "BT FAQ"... You'll find answers to many questions you don't even know you have... Also, "RayintheUK" has an excellent BT illustrated tutorial.

And last, but not least... Welcome Aboard!

Comment

• mpc
            • Feb 2005
            • Cypress, CA, USA.
            • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I'm not sure I follow you on what you're describing with your SMT. Basically though:
            * there should be 4 black levers to clamp the whole SMT package to the saw's aluminum rails; 2 levers on each end of the SMT "miter base."

* Those levers are attached to a couple bars that run parallel to the saw's rails.

* Those bars are in turn attached to the "miter base" aluminum plate via screws; these are the screws you adjust to align the whole shebang. The rear-most screws are loose, as is the left front (outer-most) screw, when doing the alignment. The right front screw (as you stand in the normal operator's position) is just slightly loose; you rotate the miter base plate about this screw to get the top piece (with the angle measurement scales) moving parallel to the blade. You may have to loosen the rear black levers too - you want the rear of the whole miter base to freely move while doing the alignment. Once the miter base is aligned, tighten the black levers and the screws to lock everything. From now on, you can remove/re-install the whole SMT assembly by just lifting the 4 black levers; re-install by setting the assembly onto the saw rails, tightening the front 2 levers first, then the back two.

* The top piece, with the angle measurement scales, is the only part that actually slides when using the SMT. It has small plastic guides that slide on the miter base... they need to be adjusted so there is no lateral play/slop between this top piece and the miter base. If they're adjusted too tight though the top won't slide easily/properly. The nuts visible in the top piece are used to align the top piece to the saw blade so that the miter fence angles are accurate. The miter fence, by the way, has:
            1: a plastic pin/foot in the bottom - this should fit without freeplay into either hole in the SMT's top part.
            2: a small plastic foot that slides along the back edge of the miter fence; the trailing edge of this foot is the "pointer" when you're reading/using the angle scales. The back edge of the miter fence itself should not be used to read angles. This plastic foot should be on the opposite end of the miter fence from the plastic pin.
            3: the top part of the SMT assembly has a small flip-up stop on the left edge; use the eccentric screw in this to calibrate the stop to hold the miter fence & plastic foot for 90 degree crosscuts. Don't "slam" the fence into this stop either; folks have busted it doing that. Remember, the BT3x00 saws are precision instruments, not cast iron gorillas...

Slow/weak motor operation:
            * The BT saws run at a higher than typical RPM (4800 RPM compared to 3600 RPM of most saws) unloaded; this will drop a little when cutting of course. Does your saw blade appear to be spinning faster than other saws when it's not cutting? If not, find out why - something is dragging your saw down. Bad bearings on the arbor, sawdust buildup in that area, bad motor bearings, etc.

* Quick/easy way to test your power lines (though your 20 amp breaker and wire sizes sound great): at the side of the saw, unplug the stubby cord. Get one of those 1-to-3-way things that plug into wall outlets. Stuff that in there, plug the saw in, and plug a regular table/desk lamp, auto shop lamp, whatever - i.e. an incandescent light bulb - into the adaptor as well. Turn on the saw and make a test cut... if the lamp gets significantly dimmer, there is a power restriction some place. Of course, you could just measure the "running" voltage with a quality AC voltmeter too. Light bulbs are easy though - and you don't have to squint at them to read them while also trying to handle a test cut ==> safer.

* Brushes on the motor itself may be worn.

Miter slots:
            I've never had the dual miter slot accessory so I can't comment on how well it works. Others like them though - they're the most often requested item on the buy/sell forum I'd say. They are not "T" style tracks like many current saws use - miter guages equipped with the little washer "ears" won't work. It's quite simple to fit a wood spacer block to the existing holes in the saw's top and then mount your favorite brand of aftermarket miter slot to that. That's what I've done. Several folks have made crosscut sleds that ride in the Ryobi dual miter slot piece with good results; folks have also made sleds for a home-brew miter slot like I've described.

Touch-up on the rails:
            The only "gotcha" to watch for is to keep bumps and especially WAX off the portion of the rails that the rip fence clamps too. When the upper portion of the rails gets wax on it, or excess paint, the rip fence "walks up" as you try to lock it down. You shouldn't have to push the rip fence downwards to hold it as you move the locking handle down. By the way, a properly adjusted rip fence typically locks with the handle pointing straight out (3 o'clock) or a little lower. It should not have to point straight down to the floor to lock; if that's the case then the rip fence adjustments are out of whack or a small cam+lever piece inside is bent. There was a recent thread (with pictures) on this damage and how to un-bend the cam.

mpc
            Last edited by mpc; 01-12-2010, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

dadoes - get a Freud SD206 for under $100.

your lights are sucking down 4 or 5 amps from your circuit. You should be able to rip - maybe the blade is dull, misaligned, or you have a smallish extension cord.

bunch of answers in the BT3 FAQ
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-12-2010, 11:56 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sailor55330
                Established Member
                • Jan 2010

MPC,

Thanks for all the detail. I follow everything you say and agree. I have been doing the exact procedure you mention. However, on page 38 of my manual, it clearly states that the rail clamps on the rear of the SMT assembly should be unlocked, then the procedure you outline regarding the adjustment should be performed. Once I retighten the adjustment screws and then reclamp the rail clamps, I find that the SMT is no longer parallel. It appears that when I apply pressure to align the SMT after loosening the clamps and the screws, the movement comes along the rails, not the screw adjustment points. In my simple little mind, it seems like you should leave all 4 rail clamps secure and then use the adjusting screws you mention, but I'm going with what the manual says. I'm certain that it is either a) user stupidity) or b) the fact that the slides are not functioning correctly at this point (I'm hoping for B and that some replacement slides will remedy this). I don't plan on wasting any more frustration until I know I have the correct parts to do the job.

I did make a quick test cut based on the recommendations of adding an accesory via a 3 way adaptor. No noticeable dimming. There is a distinct possibility that I am just more used to the more typical contractor style saw which relies as much on torque as it does revs. I admit the blade revs higher under no load than I think I have ever heard a table saw rev.

There are too many people here who seem to have great results for my experiences to be typical. As I said, I am hopeful that some new SMT guides/slides will rememdy this.

Please bear with me as I learn here---imagine my frustration of having the saw for about 6 days and not being able to make 1 cut even close to precision.

Thank you

Comment

• sailor55330
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2010

Also forgot to mention---no extention cord. Plugged straight into the wall and only thing on the circuit.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

Follow the manual for all the SMT adjustments after you get the replacement parts. Do the adjustments in order, i.e. base first, then table.

Your power may or may not be an issue. Try a different blade and a different wood. The pitch of the motor on a BT3x may change with loading, this does not necessarily mean the blade slows. Check also to make sure you have the blade installed correctly, it has happened before.

By the way if we can get your "power" issue fixed without costing money then you got a steal.
                    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

the BT3100 does rev faster than most table saws. and the motor does have a nasty high pitched whine that most don't. The whine mostly goes away when you cut wood.

Burning is a symptom. It can be caused by binding which is caused by misalignment which can be because of the splitter not installed correctly (i.e. there's some side-side adjustment so it can be placed directly behind the blade) and also has to be properly vertical.

If there is no alignment issue then as a last cause burning is usually caused by feeding too slowly - when the motor is laboring to cut and you are risking burning up the motor because its overloaded and you are burning the wood because you are feeding too slowly and can't go any faster that is when you have too little power.

The opposite condition, when you don't burn the wood but can feed as fast or slow as you want, then you have sufficient power.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                        • May 2003
                        • Orlando, FL, USA.
                        • BT3000

Welcome to the forum, Dave.

Here is a link to how I align the Sliding Miter Table and the Rip Fence. Note: Near the bottom of my post, the link to Phil Bumbalough's site is broken. His description of the 5-cut method of setting the miter fence is superb. Send me a PM and I will send a .pdf file of his info to you.
                        http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=33234

This a link to fixing a problem with my rip fence. It may or may not apply to your saw.
                        http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=48887

- Lonnie
                        OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• sailor55330
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2010

I'll take another look at the guard/fence/RK. Based on my 'eyeball" measurements, the RK seems to be pretty well centered on the blade, about 1/8 of an inch over it. Not to say it couldn't possibly be better.

I do have the fence adjusted so that there is just the slightest toe out (about the width of a playing card) from the blade to eliminate binding--it's just how I was taught. Again, a re-check hurts nothing.

I am getting burning, so I will continue to play with feed rates and different set ups to see if it is a predictable pattern.

Lastly, I am familiar with the 5-cut method, but until I get the saw straight, it's not really going to work.

Thank you all again for the help, ideas & patience.

Comment

Working...