• Show
Clear All
  • headhunter636
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Federal Way, WA
    • Ryobi BT 3000

HF Dados

I finished up my first Christmas present, it was a bunkbed for my daughters Amercian Girl dolls. I am now starting the second one which is a wardrobe for the dolls and I am going to be doing some more dados and my current blade is missing th 1/16th chipper and I am thinking of just picking up one of the cheaper HF 8 inch Dados to be able to finish these up. I am cutting mostly Poplar.

Would I be OK with one of these or should I pony up the extra 60 bucks or so for a Freud 6"?

I am happy with my HF clamps and Drill Press but I am not too sure about bits and blades.

Thanks.
    David
    Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

If you are running a BT3x00, these are 1.5HP saws, you really ought to be using a 6" dado...

Having said that, I can highly recommend the Oshlun SDS0630. I got mine at Rockler on sale, but even at full price, it's still not horrid. Fantastic flat bottomed dadoes every single time...

Check out my posts, and you can see I am not a Harbor Freight hater, but I must say... I will not buy bits or blades from them. I have had nothing but bad experiences with their blades...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Hoover
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • USA.

Rockler still has the Oshlun 8" on sale

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...6&cookietest=1

If you have a free shipping code then it is $48.00
      No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• headhunter636
        Established Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Federal Way, WA
        • Ryobi BT 3000

Hoover,

The link you posted is for the box and finger joint blade, the 8 inch Dado is showing up at $89.

I will probably wait and get the 6 inch Oshlun or Freud, maybe one of them will go in sale soon.

Thanks.
        Dave
        Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The Oshlun and Freud sets are definitely made better than the HF set, and either of those two should perform well. Holbren sells the 6" Oshlun for $63 shipped with "BT310" discount code. I wouldn't suggest going with the HF set to save money...I prefer to use a decent dado set on the TS, but if money is the primary motive for buying it, I'd go with a router instead.

The DW7670 set from Grizzly is more money yet (~ $100 shipped), but is cleaner cutting than the entry level Freud set IME.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• pbui3057
            Established Member
            • Jul 2008
            • Mather, CA
            • BT3000

I bought a used Freud SD506 for less than $100 shipped and it was great to use. The Oshlun is also really good but I think that the sd506 was better.

Comment

• Hoover
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • USA.

!!

Originally posted by headhunter636
              Hoover,

The link you posted is for the box and finger joint blade, the 8 inch Dado is showing up at $89.

I will probably wait and get the 6 inch Oshlun or Freud, maybe one of them will go in sale soon.

Thanks.
              Dave
              Yeah!!! What's your point? You need this one too!! Happy holidays!!!
              No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I have the HF dado set, I am a sucker for cheap stuff, and I do not use it because it is inaccurate and not rated for the rpm of my BT3100. If you were doing something where you do not care a lot about flat bottomed cuts and could deal with the unusual thickness of the cutters, it could be of some use. If you want to do "nice" woodworking, I would get a better dado set. I use the least expensive Freud and it works great.

Jim

Comment

Working...