Clear All
  • milobloom
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2005
    • Wilmington, DE, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

help - blade won't raise

Hi folks,

I set up my saw last night for the first time in probably more than two years... I packed it up to move back in 2007, then moved, then life happens, some of you know the drill. Anyway, I had lowered the blade below the work surface for transport and such, and now it won't raise back up. At first I thought it was catching on the throat plate, but I've removed that and still no luck.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I need to look for? The saw worked fine when I disassembled it for the move.

Thanks in advance.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Possibly one or more shims binding? Don't crank on it too much, you'll strip the aluminum casting.

Search this site for "shims" and you'll find some pictures of what I'm talking about, and what to look for.

Comment

• RAFlorida
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
      • Ryobi BT3000

ditto on the shims.

also check the crank system.

Comment

• Charlie
        Banned
        • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
        Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• milobloom
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2005
          • Wilmington, DE, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

There is indeed a good amount of sawdust in the cabinet. Didn't do a good job of cleaning it. Where is the dust port bearing located?

I looked for "shims" on the site and see what you mean... but I also see that the shims are mainly a 3000 problem... is that correct? I do indeed have a 3100.

Looks like from the other posts I saw that I just need to open up the cabinet, clean it up and put some wax in a couple places.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Shims are indeed less of an issue on the 3100 than on the 3000. Does the elevation crank turn freely, or is it frozen as well?

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Milobloom...

For starters, please don't take Charlie's comment seriously. There is no such thing as a dust port bearing. It's his version of a muffler bearing as it were...

Clean the dust out of that machine, particularly the elevation system. If you don't know how, PM lchien with your email address and ask him to send you the BT3K FAQ. (Loring is the keeper of the FAQ).

There is also a tendency for BT3000s to have a problem with the motor shims that cause the elevation assembly to bind. This problem was solved with the BT3100.

Chances are real good that the issue is sawdust buildup. And it sounds like you have the right idea on cleanup and lube. Do make sure you get the FAQ from loring though, there is some very good info there.
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

Yep, I guess I didn't realize it was a 3100 (assuming everyone has same saw as me ).

ANYWAY, I suggest taking it outside and hitting it w/ leaf blower or air compressor. Once you have it clean, remove the blade and flip it upside down, so you can see where it is binding up.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Don't know what kind of wood was cut before, but pine and other resinous wood types will leave deposits that harden like glue. Try a cloth with acetone (in a well-ventilated area) to clean this gunk out.

Comment

Working...