X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeH49
    Handtools only
    • Nov 2006

Joined the Club

After several years of lurking and wrestling with what to get (BT3K or Bosch 4100) I finally picked up a BT3100 for $70. It needs a little work. Here are the issues and a few questions:
    • The miter fence and blade guard/riving knife assembly are missing.
    • The "bottom" (?) half of two of the miter table slides are missing.
    • The elevation is not real smooth (it takes higher effort than I expected), even after cleaning and lubing the mechanism with a silicone spray. The shims and their sliding surfaces look OK, no galling. The elevation lead screw looks OK also. Can't see the threaded bushing on the motor. The bevel gears seem kind of sloppy.
    • The throat plate has about a 1/2" wide slot and mounts with one screw and two fingers that slide under capture screws. Is this the stock version?

Here are the questions:
    • Will the Sears 21829 miter fence asssembly work on the BT3100? It's available as an assembly for the 21829 at a better price versus the individual parts for the 22811.
    • Should I get a complete set of 4 miter table slides? Two appear to be OK.
    • Any suggestions for the elevation mechanism? Alternate lubricants?
    • Any throat plate recommendations to get started? I just need something basic.

Thanks for the help. This is a great forum and one of the reasons I went for the BT3K.

Mike
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

The 21829 miter fence assembly will work. The only difference is two black indicator tabs instead of a single red one.

I've been using just paste wax on for lubrication. Did you also lubricate the area where the shims slide?

The Leeway Workshop has started selling ZCTPs again. There's also plans for making your own there too. http://www.leestyron.com/zctp.php
    I recently did several out of some maple flooring scraps.
    Erik

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Contact "LCHIEN" through the PM feature here. Give him your e-mail addy and ask for his outstanding "BT3 FAQ". Most of your questions will be answered there, and those that aren't, well... they just ain't worth worryin' about...

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Welcome aboard. Do get the FAQ mentioned above.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• natausch
          Established Member
          • Aug 2009
          • Aurora, IL
          • BT3000 - 15A

Originally posted by MikeH49
          After several years of lurking and wrestling with what to get (BT3K or Bosch 4100) I finally picked up a BT3100 for $70. It needs a little work. Here are the issues and a few questions:
          • Will the Sears 21829 miter fence asssembly work on the BT3100? It's available as an assembly for the 21829 at a better price versus the individual parts for the 22811.
          Also check on eBay, it looks like a complete bt3k is being parted out over the next couple days. Unless you'll be replacing the blade guard/riving knives with an upgraded version you might be able to replace it cheaper than ordering from a replacement part.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by MikeH49
            • The miter fence and blade guard/riving knife assembly are missing.
            • You can go back with a stock blade guard / riving knife, but I wouldn't. It takes some time for him to get them done, but the Shark Guard is a HUGE improvement in protection, and dust collection compared to the flimsy stock guard. http://www.leestyron.com/.

The 21829 miter fence is compatible. You can find them from saws being parted out as well.
            • The "bottom" (?) half of two of the miter table slides are missing.
            If you can find one that is being parted out, you might be able to snag an entire SMT for cheap... I have seen a few of them here lately going for literally $10.00 to $20.00 for complete saws with burnt up motors...
            [quote]
          • The elevation is not real smooth (it takes higher effort than I expected), even after cleaning and lubing the mechanism with a silicone spray. The shims and their sliding surfaces look OK, no galling. The elevation lead screw looks OK also. Can't see the threaded bushing on the motor. The bevel gears seem kind of sloppy. [/quote
            It's already been mentioned, but PM lchien with your email address and ask him for his BT3K FAQ.
          • The throat plate has about a 1/2" wide slot and mounts with one screw and two fingers that slide under capture screws. Is this the stock version?

Here are the questions:

If the motor on yours runs well, you might try to find a complete good condition saw with a bad motor and get the parts you need...

Oh yeah, as far as the throat plate is concerned, you can either DIY a ZCTP, or get one from Lee Styron as well... I think there may be some on Ebay too...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• vaking
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2005
            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

I use shark guard but I think I still have original riving knife. If you want it -yours for the shipping.
            Alex V

Comment

• Working...