X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin_S
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

What to get to replace my BT3100

About six weeks ago my BT3100 was one of several shop tools damaged beyond repair in a fire at my house. Since I can't just walk down to HD and buy a replacement, what would be a good, comparable replacement table saw to purchase as a replacement. My insurance will pay the full cost for a 'comparable' replacement saw, but I'm not sure what to present to them.

Thanks in advance

Martin
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

This is the Craftsman version of the 3100. Not sure what type of proof you would need. Pics would show that besides the color and stand both saws are very similar.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...word=table+saw
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

I guess the current Sears BT3K clone model is the closest comparable.

A Bosch 4100 would be a possible choice, if you wanted to try something different, in the same price and weight class.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

The Sears Craftsman Professional model #21829 us the current iteration of the Ryobi BT3x00 series saw.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

In many areas you will see a BT3000 or BT3100 every month or so on Craigslist. If you're patient, you could score a deal, and have the same saw you lost. You could show your insurance company the CM saw data to get the settlement, and then go shopping on your own. At least the company that insures me works it that way. You could use the settlement to go toward a whopper of a saw, too, if you're willing to pay the difference.
          Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 10-02-2009, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Yep, the 21829 would be the closest replacement.
            You could probably use some of the info in the FAQ if the insurance Co. needs more justification.

Sorry to hear about the fire. I hope it wasn't too bad.
            Erik

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

The 21829 is the same with a different stand. Unfortunately, it has gone much higher in price, to the point that Sears now has a new saw out (due to riving knife) that competes with the Granite toppped Home Depot 4511 (number?), that is $10 more then the "sale" price of the 21829. The new Sears saw, is the 21833 (one more choice to look at).

So the real question is HOW SOON, do you need it? As stated, you can find used, or you could change saws. It really depends on how much you need it, to repair the fire damage, verses sitting and waiting.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Hoover
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • USA.

Looks similar to the Ridgid saw

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5x00001c#specs
                No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Bump to the top, since TONIGHT, is a friends and family night, as well as the Craftsman club.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• mycatisretarded
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • newton, nc, USA.

The important word is 'comparable'.......

Compare Bt3100 to Unisaw...

Both have motors, both have blades, both create sawdust, both make noise. Looks like a close match to me.
                    Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • westchester cnty, ny

martin s.....the first thing i'd do is contact an independent insurance adjuster to represent you against your insurer. they usually work for a percentage of what they recover for you against your insurer. every time i've had a homeowner's claim, that's what i've done. in one accident, insurer offered us $1400 for water damage. called in a well respecrted independent insurance adjuster and that amount was increased to $12,000. adjuster got $1,200, we netted, $10,800, or an increase of $9,400 over the insurers initial settlement offer. remember, insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums and not paying claims. tell an adjuster what you had and let him fight for you. you might just get that unisaw.
                      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...