• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norm in Fujino
    • Dec 2002
    • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
    • Ryobi BT-3000

My new tenon jig

Hi, people, it’s been a long time since I was able to spend much time doing woodworking. My job became much busier when I was invited to join a different faculty at the university, and I also began spending more time doing serious photography (one of my earliest loves). As a result, I had less concentrated time to do ww'ing, and fell into doing just little fixit jobs around the house, and couldn't spend the time on the forums as before. That much hasn't really changed, but there are a number of projects I’ve got lined up for this next year, and I’m hoping to spend a bit more time checking back in here, at least on a ROM basis. I still love the BT3000, and am impressed that US tablesaws have finally come around to requiring riving knives--something we BT3000 users have appreciated since long ago.

Anyway, for my first new contribution, I’ll talk about a new (for me) tenon jig. To be honest, I’m amazed by the wide variety of tenon jig designs now available on the net (hey, the 'net has increased about 100x in volume the past decade!), so in advance I’ll tell you this isn’t at all fancy, just a basic jig that happens to be an improvement on the one I used to use.

About nine years ago, I cut my first mortises and tenons when I built (Kanon’s Cabinet and the Boot bench. To cut the tenons, I used the simplest and probably most common tablesaw tenon jig found on the web (very much like the one described HERE, which I believe was designed for the BT3000). As anyone who has tried one of these knows, they work pretty well on short, light workpieces like the slats on my boot bench or the spindles of a Morris chair, but they become quite a bit more unwieldy and even potentially dangerous when trying to cut deep through-tenons on a settee’s four-foot-long stretchers (I can’t even imagine what it would be like trying to cut them for a six-foot couch). An additional problem with my first tenon jig was the clamp used to hold the workpiece in place. Nine years ago I couldn’t find proper toggle clamps here in Japan and made do with the table-top clamp shown in the photos. It worked okay—but it was difficult to keep in proper tension due to the insufficient length of the threads.

Anyway, based on the experience I had cutting the tenons on a similar project this summer (an Arts and Crafts loveseat, more about which I’ll write later), I made the following pretty elementary conclusions about this type of fence-riding jig:
    1. Sideways motion when cutting tenons on long, vertically standing workpieces is primarily a result of the lack of sufficient width in the base of the jig, insufficient jig height to stabilize the board, and insufficiently tight tolerances in the pieces gripping the rip fence.
    2. Front-back rocking motion may occur when trying to cut a deep tenon on a large vertically standing workpiece, and that rocking is primarily a result of the lack of sufficient jig length and weight.
    In a word, it’s better to build the jig bigger in every dimension. That really sums it up, and so end of story, except for the part about tolerances around the rip fence. That’s where I got a bit inventive (I hope).

I don’t do this kind of cutting often enough to make me feel the need for one of the amazing dial-in-the-value mechanical jigs like Steve Maskery’s “Ultimate Tenon Jig”, but I did want something more stable than the little one I currently had. As a result, using the basic same design principles as the earlier one, but adding additional size and a movable spring-forced pressure fence, I produced a new jig that is much better than my old one. Yes, it’s still a simple manual type that requires movement of the rip fence to adjust, but the difference in stability is worlds apart, which for me is the most crucial element.
    Material: baltic birch plywood, oak, Philippine mahogany, pine, ebony

The new and old tenon jigs:

Side by side

The difference in width and height is evident at a glance; the old jig has an effective width of 8 cm and height of 23.5 cm, while the new one is 16.5 cm wide and 30 cm high. It is this width and height that provide lateral stability and resistance to sideways swaying when cutting long boards.

Maximum base width of old jig was only eight centimeters:

Maximum base width of new jig: 16.5 cm

This photo also shows the movable pressure fence being forced against the right side of the rip fence, thus keeping the jig in perfect alignment with the fence.

I also had trouble with front/back rocking when the saw tended to bog down cutting deep tenons on long boards. That’s a function of the length of the jig; the old one was only fourteen centimeters long:

Length of the old jig’s top plate: 14 cm

In contrast, the new one has a top plate forty-one centimeters long.

Length of new jig’s top plate: 41 cm

This shot of the underside shows the fixed fence at right, the movable spring-held pressure fence in the middle, and the outrigger with its wide ebony foot on the left. The ebony is slick and produces less resistance to sliding on the table surface. I probably should have placed a strip on the bottom of the main fixed fence as well.

For the spring shafts, I used 8 mm threaded rod with epoxied nuts embedded on the side of the movable fence, with standard wingnuts on the outside; the threaded rod is additionally fixed to the nuts with loctite to prevent unthreading them as I turn the wingnuts. I was initially worried that I would have to search around the many shops at Tokyo’s Akihabara in order to find springs of the proper dimensions and tension, but I was knocked over when by chance I found the perfect springs at Tokyu Hands in Shibuya. I should note that when the springs are released, the friction is enough to create quite a bit of resistance to pushing the jig—it can be done, but I’ve found it’s better to tighten the wingnuts half a turn or so to ease the pressure off just a bit; that makes the jig slide easier while maintaining good tension against the sides of the rip fence.
    Last edited by Norm in Fujino; 09-25-2009, 10:24 AM.
    ==========
    ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

welcome back Norm, we've missed you.
    Good looking, well-thought out jig, you haven't missed a step!
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
      • Dec 2002
      • Ryobi BT-3000

Hey, Loring, nice to see you again! It's certainly been a long time.
      ==========

Comment

• luteman
        Established Member
        • Dec 2007
        • Northern Michigan
        • BT3100-1

Great jig, Norm! Your concise instructions and clear photos remind me of a former member of this forum from Poland. Do you remember Niki? Always wondered what happened to him.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Looks great Norm. I like the spring idea. I also made one recently, sans the spring, just rides the fence - pretty snug, but still smooth.
          Attached Files
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I like your jig! You want me to take it back to the States for you?

On the Kokutan/blackwood/ebony - did you buy that at Tokyu Hands or did you find it in a specialty lumber yard? What I find at TH is usually imported, but there was a store here that sold the Kokutan as Kaki/Persimmon - kinda rare and expensive, and as you noted somewhat slicky. I can't find it anymore locally but a friend sent me some from the Philippines and he said it was from the persimmon tree there also. One fellow at a local TH said that he thought their blackwood was imported from the Philippines also.

I had a friend in Osaka that had several large boards of the same black wood (persimmon) and he said that they cost him $700 - $800 each. He used some of his for tool handles, making his own hand planes, and for dovetail guides.
            Last edited by leehljp; 09-27-2009, 12:05 AM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• footprintsinconc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
              • BT3100

another nice jig to be made. i think this is going to be item number 157 on my list now.

Comment

• niki
                • Nov 2006
                • Poland
                • EB PK255

Hi Norm

Okaeri-nasai....nice jig...some tenon jigs are using the miter slot but I prefer the "Riding on the fence" stile like yours because it will always be parallel to the fence, and by that, excludes any chances to make an alignment mistake and cutting the tenon a little bit "diagonal"...

On the "Miter slot" stile, you have to set the 90° and if it's not perfectly set, the tenon might be cut a little bit diagonal...

Nice job and I'm looking forward to see your other jigs.

Regards
                niki

P.S. Hi Luteman, I'm still here

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by b0330923
                  Looks great Norm. I like the spring idea. I also made one recently, sans the spring, just rides the fence - pretty snug, but still smooth.
                  Thanks, Bill. All these jigs are basically the same, we're just trying to find another way to the mountain top. Yours has two clamps, which should improve the stability as well.
                  ==========

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Norm - well planned out jig. Great set of pictures.

Originally posted by niki
                    Hi Norm

Okaeri-nasai....nice jig...some tenon jigs are using the miter slot but I prefer the "Riding on the fence" stile like yours because it will always be parallel to the fence, and by that, excludes any chances to make an alignment mistake and cutting the tenon a little bit "diagonal"...

On the "Miter slot" stile, you have to set the 90° and if it's not perfectly set, the tenon might be cut a little bit diagonal...

Nice job and I'm looking forward to see your other jigs.

Regards
                    niki

P.S. Hi Luteman, I'm still here
                    Glad to see you're still here Niki. You're absolutely right about a 90 degree setting. If the saw is set up correctly, i.e., that the fence is set parallel to the blade, and the blade is parallel to a miter slot (if you have one), accurate tenons can be made.

I've made jigs that work as well in the slot or on the fence, but like you I prefer the fence. Being able to fix the subject piece so it doesn't slip is critical. Another advantage is to be able to fix the subject piece at an angle if necessary.

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by leehljp
                      I like your jig! You want me to take it back to the States for you?
                      Sorry, Hank, I doubt I'll be going back to the states anytime soon (which means "in this lifetime").

On the Kokutan/blackwood/ebony - did you buy that at Tokyu Hands or did you find it in a specialty lumber yard?
                      Actually, this was a hand-me-down. My wife's father passed about ten years ago, and he had this large, old Chinese-style solid ebony low-table he'd bought many years ago in Taiwan. Unfortunately, it had begun coming apart at the seams, and the cost of disassembling it and regluing was unthinkable--besides the fact that the family didn't use a tatami room anymore. They were about ready to throw it out when I insisted that they give it to me. I took it apart and have been meaning to use it in projects, and I finally got around to actually using it in the A&C loveseat I mentioned in an earlier message; there were a number of offcuts from that project, so I used one of them on this jig.

What I find at TH is usually imported, but there was a store here that sold the Kokutan as Kaki/Persimmon - kinda rare and expensive, and as you noted somewhat slicky.
                      The Kurogaki (black persimmon) I've seen is basically the opposite of ebony. Rather than black with light accents, the persimmon is light with black accents. I've bought a few boards of it here in Tokyo, and built a tissue box cover with it back when I was first experimenting with dovetails:

(these are old photos, and I'm embarrassed to show them now, since the combination of box joints and dovetails didn't turn out well ).
                      ==========

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Norm in Fujino
                        Sorry, Hank, I doubt I'll be going back to the states anytime soon (which means "in this lifetime")
                        What a shame, and I had great dreams for it!

The Kurogaki (black persimmon) I've seen is basically the opposite of ebony. Rather than black with light accents, the persimmon is light with black accents. I've bought a few boards of it here in Tokyo, and built a tissue box cover with it back when I was first experimenting with dovetails:
                        You are not the first person to tell me this. One fellow that I know in the Nagoya area (Gifu City) who owns a home remodeling business couldn't believe a pen that I made for him out of almost pure black. He had never seen Kaki in all black (actually black and dark brownish-red). We looked on the internet and could not find wood that I was talking about. The only Kaki he had ever seen was the same as the box you made. However, there is one store in Toyota that had some small pieces of mostly all black, labeled it as kokutan but when I asked, the old man replied Kaki. I gobbled all of it up - back in '04/05 and it was only about 1 1/2 board ft.

Below are two picts of Kaki that a neighborhood man (Maeno-san) had in Ikoma, (Nara-ken) next to Osaka.

That little box he is holding in his hand was a quick made pen holder with decorative strips of kokutan/kaki that he made for me in a few minutes as a gift. He also gave me some strips about 1 inch square and 18 inches long, and a small chunk/knot about 3 in round and 7 inches long. I still have that piece. Maeno-san used to go to Palamar College for a week a year and teach Japanese woodworking techniques. He has a personally signed copy of Sam Maloof's book with a note to him from Sam. Color me still envious.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by leehljp; 09-27-2009, 07:00 AM.
                        Hank Lee

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Norm, I am attaching another pict (actually 2 in one). The Kokutan on the tape was written by Maeno for me.

The top square piece shows the grain and more of the reddish brown. The bottom reddish brown piece (square) is the last piece that I got from the Toyota home center. (Note: this home center specializes in contractor woods and tools.)

I rubbed a little water on it to show the darkness that shows up when finished.

I posted this to show the similarities between the piece on your jig and what was given and also sold to me as kaki.
                          Hank Lee

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

Great jig, Norm. The extra height and width for stability is a good idea, but I really am interested in the adjustable fence. Getting a fixed rider to be snug enoug to be stable and still slide smoothly can be a PITA. This should solve the problem.

Hank, it's been a while since you mentioned Maeno-san. I hope everything is ok with him.
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by Pappy
                              Great jig, Norm. The extra height and width for stability is a good idea, but I really am interested in the adjustable fence. Getting a fixed rider to be snug enoug to be stable and still slide smoothly can be a PITA. This should solve the problem.
                              Hi, Don! The "snugness" against the fence was a prime concern, and the spring solution somehow seemed obvious. After building this one I found another jig on the net whose inventor used the opposite method--direct pressure via screws--to maintain pressure against the fence, but I'm hoping my method will be more consistent and produce less binding. I also prepared a third hole so I can add another spring later if I feel that two aren't enough. Depending on how anal one is (and how strong the springs are), one could add four or more springs, more length to the pressure fence, etc.
                              ==========

Comment

Working...