X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farkel
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2002

Problem Raising Blade

I have a 7 year old bt3100 that I have used quite regularly as a hobbyist. I have been annoyed for about 4 years by how often I have had to lubricate the blade raising mechanism. The blade raising problem is getting so bad now, however, that I am about ready to start thinking about a replacement table saw.

It takes two hands to raise the blade, and it is slow and tedious. The blade goes down a little easier, but nothing like it should.

I have removed the panels and lubricated over and over but it does very little good anymore. I tried removing the plate that rides up and down on the tracks but ending up stripping the screws so there seems to be nothing else I can do at this point.

Is this the beginning of the end of my bt3100?
  • headhunter636
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Federal Way, WA
    • Ryobi BT 3000

It isn't the end, but it does sound like you are having the dreaded shim problem. The metal shims that allow the motor and blade housing to slide up and down are probably gone or broken and getting in the way. I am in the same boat as you, my saw is about the same age and the blade would not raise without some work. I ordered the new shims and hopefully I will have them in a few days. You can also upgrade the saw to the BT3100 shims, which will prevent the problem from happening again. Take a look at this thread, it should get you started.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...im+replacement

Dave
    Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Since you already have a BT3100, it is less likely that this is a shim problem. That problem is associated with the BT3000. Have you done a visual inspection/cleaning/lubrication of all the moving parts in the elevation mechanism?

Comment

• headhunter636
        Established Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Federal Way, WA
        • Ryobi BT 3000

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
        Since you already have a BT3100, it is less likely that this is a shim problem. That problem is associated with the BT3000. Have you done a visual inspection/cleaning/lubrication of all the moving parts in the elevation mechanism?
        Well, that is what I get for replying without knowing how to read and being half asleep. Sorry about that post and thanks to Uncle Cracker for squaring me away.

Dave
        Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Originally posted by headhunter636
          Well, that is what I get for replying without knowing how to read and being half asleep. Sorry about that post and thanks to Uncle Cracker for squaring me away.
          No prob, dude... I almost missed it myself.

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Like Uncle Cracker said in the middle, cleaning. Is everything clean? and what type of lubrication are you using?

I had a similar problem with my 21829. It was sawdust buildup at the two gears of the lifting mechanism. The two where one is on the shaft that connects to the handle and the other is on the vertical threaded rod. Once I got those gears cleaned and the rod too everything moved much easier. I was using some spray lube that attracted dust pretty badly. Since I've been using just paste wax I haven't run into the problem again.
            Erik

Comment

• Alex Franke
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Chapel Hill, NC
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
              Like Uncle Cracker said in the middle, cleaning. Is everything clean? and what type of lubrication are you using?

I had a similar problem with my 21829. It was sawdust buildup at the two gears of the lifting mechanism. The two where one is on the shaft that connects to the handle and the other is on the vertical threaded rod. Once I got those gears cleaned and the rod too everything moved much easier. I was using some spray lube that attracted dust pretty badly. Since I've been using just paste wax I haven't run into the problem again.
              I second this -- pelligrini is spot on here. I had the very same problem with the very same cause. I cleaned it up the very same way, and also haven't had a problem since.
              online at http://www.theFrankes.com
              while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Nil
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2007

I had the same problem with my BT3100 from the start. The problem ended up being the cheap plastic used for the wheel to raise/lower/tilt the blade. The wheel has a notch inside it that mates with a notch on the shaft. This notch engages and makes the shaft spin when the wheel spins...until the plastic wheel strips out and spins freely without turning the shaft.

I had bought a BT3000 a while back, and it's wheel had the exact same notch, but it was made out of metal! I slapped it on, and the blade goes up and down without a hitch (or slip!) now.

If the wheel is spinning, but the blade isn't going up or down, I'm betting this is your problem. I bet on this site there are a lot of people who have parted out BT3000s that have a spare wheel sitting around...

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

And for you others with the plastic wheel, a metal one available from Sears Parts for their BT clone is a common upgrade. Fits perfectly.

Comment

• farkel
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2002

Thanks for your responses. I will try to clean and lube the gears tonight. Is there anything special I need to know before jumping in?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I too recommend cleaning and lubing the elevation crown gears and mechanisms.
                      Use a dry lube that won't attract an hold sawdust. Then use a ship vac on the rear port at the least and try to keep the saw clean.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• farkel
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Dec 2002

Thanks again for the advice. I cleaned and lubed the gears, and the blade now goes down nicely, and goes up just ok, which just ok with me for the forseeable future.

Comment

Working...