Bad switch, Ryobi comes through with flying colors!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Hunter
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
    • BT3000 & BT3100

Bad switch, Ryobi comes through with flying colors!

Had the switch on my BT3100 go bad last week. It was the dreaded would not turn the saw off problem. So I went to the Ryobi tool registration site and sent an email. I got a very nice reply from Tim Beasley telling me to call technical services so that they could take my information and send me a new switch. 800-525-2579

Made the call and talked to a very nice lady Debby Hayes, she took my information. I told her of the this website and she ask for the url so we might just see her here. She said that a service tech would call me back.

After that we had a major storm go through and the power was down for some 22 hours. We went to my son's house since he still had electricity and I never thought much about the switch until today when UPS delivered a new switch with a very nice letter from Debby telling me they were unable to get in touch with me but had sent the new switch and if I had any questions to please call the tech, she even gave me his cell phone number!

Now that is the kind of customer service that keeps me coming back!
    John Hunter
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Bully for them! Bully!

Comment

• woodyork
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2005
      • Payson, AZ.

My Results - not so good!!

My switch failed - Stuck On just likie they all do. I called the number John gave and was told that the BT3100 was not covered under the free replacemrnt and I would have to go to Home Depot and order a new switch. I argued a loooog time and quoted from Johns letter but I was unsuccessful. I tried to speak to the person John mentioned
      (I have CRS and can't recall the name) and was told no such person worked there.

Now obviously I didn't get connected to the right department or something. John is your saw a 3100 or a 3000?

I'll never go to HD and pay good money for this crummy switch. I just came in from taking it apart for the third time. It's not sealed and you can get right down to the contacts to clean ---scrape them off. It is a double pole switch and they only used one pole so the first time I did it I switched to the new pole. This time I cleaned up both sets of contacts but I still only connected one pole of the switch. I don't think putting them in parallel will make them work any better. The contact arc welds them stuck ON.

I'd like to find a good switch from somewhere else that I could substitute. I wish it was mounted to the left anyway. Has anyone done this. If so can you provide details -- source, part number, mounting configuration etc. I'd be most appreciative.
      Too soon old,
      too late smart

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I think there are actually 2 different switch versions used in the BT3100. I am not sure how to describe them. But I know the owners manual for mine actually says BT3100-1, and it has a newer style, roundish paddle type switch...

If you get no help from Ryobi, call the Consumer Product Safety Commission and see if they can poke Ryobi with a hot stick or something... I like Ryobi, but sometimes they do bone headed things...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• John Hunter
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Lake Station, IN, USA.
          • BT3000 & BT3100

My saw is a BT3100 They even called me a few days after I got the switch to make sure I got it and that it fixed the problem! One thing I did say when I first called them was that this was a safety matter since the saw would not shut off. My saw was also one of the very last oned HD sold so that also may have made a difference even though the warranty was expired.
          John Hunter

Comment

Working...