• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

16 year old BT3K Back in Action

A couple of weeks ago, while I was finishing a bed step for my grandaughter, a shim became stuck and the blade would not retract. Yesterday, I decided that it was time to do a complete tear down maintenance on this saw. After all, it was very early production model and hasn't been apart in nearly 14 years, so I went at it with gusto. The offending shim has been slipping around for over a decade, but never caused any problems, so I left it until it did. Once apart, I found a couple of interesting tid bits.

When I took the old shims out, there were areas of packed saw dust that had gotten between the shims and the aluminum slide areas of the locker bracket.

The original shims had been tacked in place with some small deposits of what looks like silicone. I used the same idea when I put the new ones in place and let it cure before reassembling things. This made the reassembly a piece of cake.

The belts were in like new condition, so the two extra sets I bought many years ago went back in the parts box.

The motor brushes are less than half worn, so I didn't need replacements for those either. There was almost no dust inside the motor. I firmly believe this is due to the way I have the cabinet enclosed and that I always run the saw with the shop vac connected.

Before I bolted the locker bracket back together, I made up a paste of powered graphite dust and mineral spirits. I liberally brushed this paste on all of the aluminum slide surfaces and on the shims where they would contact the locker bracket. I also brushed this paste on the elevation screw shaft. I let this paste dry completely overnight before reassembling things. The locker bracket slips up and down with almost no effort now.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Good for you! Take care of the old girl, and she'll thank you for it...

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Originally posted by Jim Frye
      Before I bolted the locker bracket back together, I made up a paste of powered graphite dust and mineral spirits. I liberally brushed this paste on all of the aluminum slide surfaces and on the shims where they would contact the locker bracket. I also brushed this paste on the elevation screw shaft. I let this paste dry completely overnight before reassembling things. The locker bracket slips up and down with almost no effort now.
      Has anyone tried "Anti-Seize" for this? (It's the alum. looking stuff used on break pads to keep them sliding on the caliper) Mine is starting to be a little hard to lower and I was thinking about fixing it.

Bill,

Happy whatever holiday you celebrate this weekend

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Glad to see you finally got out of bed, Jim. Mine also has some years on it, without problems. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Jim, when are you going to get out of the cellar?
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
            Jim, when are you going to get out of the cellar?
            Probably never. I will be retired in June and it looks like we are staying in the house we own until we croak. At least its paid for. The cellar too.
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Glad to hear it is still running after 16 years. You should stop by here more often.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Jim,

FWIW, when I was looking for my first table saw, and came across yoru articles online... UNFORTUNATELY I didn't know quite enough to avoid the BTS21 first off... I had the BTS21 confused with the 21829...

Your articles helped me pick up and mod my BT3100, and gave me some great ideas for a mobile cabinet. (Spurred on very recently by Poolhound.)

Hopefully you will drop back in here more often... I could use more articles like the ones you have put up...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Let us know how the graphite paste holds up. The PTFE based sprays work, but not for very long.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• Jim Frye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Maumee, OH, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

graphite paste

Originally posted by Pappy
                    Let us know how the graphite paste holds up. The PTFE based sprays work, but not for very long.
                    I have been using dry graphite powder on this saw since it was new. The elevation mechanism is still not worn, so I would say the powder works fine. I made the paste up only as a transport method. The paste allows me to concentrate the graphite much more than simply puffing it in place. The mineral spirits evaporates completely within a few hours and leaves the dry graphite where it was deposited. The paste method will also allow me to lube the shims and the elevation screw more easily without having to open something up.
                    Last edited by Jim Frye; 04-12-2009, 01:10 PM.
                    Jim Frye
                    The Nut in the Cellar.
                    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Dickl12
                      Handtools only
                      • Jun 2008

Graphite & Solvent

Try "lockese" it is graphite in a solvent. I have found the solvent allows the graphite to flow into the cracks, then drys off. Locksmith and Hardware stores at the Key Maker machine should have it.

Comment

Working...