• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Blade Elevation Crank Hard to Turn--3100

I've seen a lot of reference to shim issues on the 3000's as they relate to the blade elevation mechanism, but is this appplicable to the 3100?

My blade is very difficult to raise and lower. What should I look at?
    Joe
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

more than likely on the BT3100 you need to blow all the sawdust out of your saw and clean and possibly lube the elevation screw and crown gear.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• footprintsinconc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
      • BT3100

i had the same problem a while back. i too freaked out that it may have been the shims.

basically, the machine was for most part clean inside, but the shims had black streak -- so dust must have accumilated on them over time and got rubbed on. so i lowered the blade all the way and cleaned the three sides of the exposed shim and lubed it with dry lithium. i then raised the blade all the way and did the same to the bottom half of the shims and lubed the elevation screw as well. that solved all the problem.

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Thank you gentlemen, that solved my problem. This was the first time I had ever opened up the saw, and it was very easy to clean and lube the proper parts.

I can now actually turn the wheel by the handle and not exhaust myself in the process. I actually no longer dread blade changes .
        Joe

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Originally posted by JoeyGee
          it was very easy to clean and lube the proper parts.
          I hope you used a dry lube. Otherwise you'll be attracting sawdust.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
            basically, the machine was for most part clean inside, but the shims had black streak...
            I bet the black streak is aluminum oxide rubbed off onto the shim. I was in the same situation (though on a BT3k) over the last holidays as I had been out of the shop for a couple years.

If the top of the BT3k is uncared for, it'll leave similar black streaks on your workpiece since the top is bare aluminum.

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Ed62
              I hope you used a dry lube. Otherwise you'll be attracting sawdust.

Ed

Yep, I didn't want to go through it again any sooner than I need to.
              Joe

Comment

Working...