X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mantis
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2009

Windsor design router insert plate

I am getting ready to build my router table extension, and was looking at router plates. I found one here http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...mber=94331from "windsor design", and was wondering if anyone knew anything about its quality. Right now I am thinking about using that or a polycarbonate one from Rockler. Thanks for any help!!
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I haven't used one, BUT I have held one at my local HF. (I haven't decided YET to pull the trigger on a proper table / fence insert into my BT, but I am getting close!). I can't tell any difference aside from the lack of an engraved / embossed Rockler logo between this and the Rockler piece...

No idea how well either one holds up under the load of a heavy router. But with Polycarbonate this thick, it should do pretty well...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

A phenolic plate such as this is fine, but you may want to consider the quality of the insert rings that will support your workpiece. You may want to avoid plates that only accept a manufacturer's flexible, plastic insert rings, and instead choose one that has rigid, twist-lock style insert rings - supports the workpiece better, IMO.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

It may be fine, especially for the price. But while my experience with phenolic router plates is limited to only one, it was enough to make me swear off them. For jobs like edge profiling or dadoing it was okay, but for a precision joints like sliding dovetails it sagged enough to be a problem -- and this while carrying a fairly lightweight router (Makita 1101 with a fixed base).

Another point to consider: the size of plates and lifts varies, but 9-1/4" x 11-3/4" is *somewhat* standard, used by several of the big-name manufacturers. If the 9" x 12" dimensions of this one are actual rather than nominal, and you ever want a different plate or a lift, your choices will be more limited unless you're willing to build a new top.
        Larry

Comment

• master53yoda
          Established Member
          • Oct 2008
          • Spokane Washington
          • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

I have used the Rousseau plate on two tables and have been very well pleased attached is a picture of my setup.
          the small insert ring will accomodate the brass bor restrictors that i got from HF to match the bit size when dealing with small pieces they are worth there weight in gold.

My fine dust collector made from an old furnace fan motor and 4" pleated filter is the base that the saw sits on. My shop is small enough there was no place to put the fine dust collector and this works very well.
          Last edited by master53yoda; 05-08-2009, 03:09 PM.
          Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• mantis
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2009

Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Working...