• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charliex
    • Mar 2004
    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Going the the twilight side

In early June I ask the question How long will my BT3100-1 live. I received many responses for which I am greatful, and most indicated a long life. Sunday I was cutting some brackets for mounting some boxes to a wall and the saw started running slower and then came that smell of burnt varnish, no smoke just stink. I tore it apart and found several comutator bars had come lose and demolished the brushes.
    I just ordered a Sears BT3xxx a-like so while not going to the dark side I will be in twilight .
    Anyone have a Sears 21829 and want to share your thoughts as to how it is different from the BT? Will the SMT fit the rails and can I use my BT rails to extend the table?
    Thanks in advance.
    Chas
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by charliex
    In early June I ask the question How long will my BT3100-1 live. I received many responses for which I am greatful, and most indicated a long life. Sunday I was cutting some brackets for mounting some boxes to a wall and the saw started running slower and then came that smell of burnt varnish, no smoke just stink. I tore it apart and found several comutator bars had come lose and demolished the brushes.
    I just ordered a Sears BT3xxx a-like so while not going to the dark side I will be in twilight .
    Anyone have a Sears 21829 and want to share your thoughts as to how it is different from the BT? Will the SMT fit the rails and can I use my BT rails to extend the table?
    Thanks in advance.
    Chas
    Chas,

The 21829 is merely a BT3100 on a folding stand with a few other minor modifications. Red housing color, slightly longer rails, etc...

From what I understand, the 21829 CAN use the BT3100 SMT and accessories except for the stuff specific to the base like the casters. And yes you can use the rails to extend your 21829...

Another option is of course, to get the motor to an electric motor shop near you and see how much and if it is worth it to have the motor gone through and rebuilt.

While it is an expensive option, a motor replacement shouldn't be out of the question if you really like the saw...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...