• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Part it out? or Pass it down? or ...??

Well I confirmed that the motor of the BT3100 is seriously ill ... alarming blue sparks from the housing when powered on and clearly very little power ...

So ... in light of this and that I have the Griz G1023SL on the way ... I have to make room in the shop in a hurry ... thus the dilemma of "Part it out" or "Pass it down" ... doing some brief searching it looks like I can replace the probable motor broken parts for ~$120 new using Sears.com as part source. Or I can just keep eyes open for a used motor to pop in ... this would be on the premise that I would put the BT3100 in storage and see if in the future my son (or even grandson) might have an interest ...

OR ... I could part this one out ... everything is in good order except the motor. I have a Herc-U-Lift on the stand, the normal compliment of pieces parts (rip fence, SMT, rails, dual slot miter table, router table ...)

Anyone have any thoughts along these lines? I'm about 50/50 at the moment ... no real idea as to whether or not my son/heirs would have a interest but it could join my RAS already in storage ...

Anyone hungry for pieces parts?
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Just my $.02 worth here, but I would keep it and fix it... The bt is an interesting saw, and is a great piece of equipment for woodworkers new and experienced alike. I sure wish my Dad had kept his old WW stuff from years ago and handed it down to me!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I have an old 10 inch CMS I am holding onto for my son. It works and has a pretty good blade, I just saw a good deal on a 12 inch so I switched. I have no interest in changing table saws at the moment but if I did, I would probably get rid of the large base with extension rails but keep the saw and all it's parts for my son. It would take up less space that way and we could build it a new base when he has room enough for it.

I get worried about him injuring himself is my only hessitation. I think he will do it anyway, however, so maybe I can influence him a bit if I help. (my son is 26 but in an apartment at the moment so he has limited room for tools)

Jim

Comment

Working...