X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • superape
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2008

Advice for a new user!

Hi everyone, first post! I've recently moved house and there are quite a few projects that I'm trying to tackle. Never used a table saw before, so thought I'd try to pick up something on craigslist. Hopefully I chose a decent model!

Just picked up a "Brand new second hand" bt3100 and have quite a few questions you guys.

For starters, looks like I'm missing just about everything from the miter fence except for the fence itself and the saw gauge. Should I order replacements or is there a popular mod or jig that might make that redundant?

Thanks in advance and hello bt3Central !
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I forget their terminology - are the "saw gauge" the black plastic blocks on the end of the miter fence (the ones you have to be careful not to cut off)? I assume you have the SMT?

Are you missing the knob, the bolt, the miter gauge holder (black plastic)?
    The bolt is just 5/16-18 hex head bolt available at any store, you can also get hand knobs with 5/16-18 threads, I'd get the one with the through threading. You'll need a 5/16 flat washer to go under the knob. The only thing is the miter guage holder (my name for it), you can make one of wood pretty easily.

The bolt goes from the bottom groove of the SMT thru the block, thru the washer and into the threaded knob.

I guess I can get you the key dimensions for the block, but I'm out of pocket until Sunday, can't get to it tonite.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• superape
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2008

LCHIEN, thanks for the response. I do have the miter fence with the saw gauges (the "don't cut off bits").

Are you missing the knob, the bolt, the miter gauge holder (black plastic)?
      That's exactly what I'm missing. So in light of your post, I guess I should just either fashion a new miter fence holder or order that one part ( 969192-001 )

Thanks again!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

that one part is not too tough to make, but you probably need a drill press to make a very perpendicular hole.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• bigstick509
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Macomb, MI, USA.
          • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Welcome to the fun here. If you are new to table saws, view every move with caution. Those things can cut a hand or finger as well as wood, and kick back sending wood flying like an arrow in an instant.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Welcome aboard. If you're new to using a tablesaw, check out the link below for a great writeup by Ray about kickback. You need to understand that. It will help keep you from getting hurt.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• superape
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2008

Thank you very much for the safety links, I was going to ask about those.

I'm not even close to turning it on. I'm reading through the manual, cleaning up the parts, downloading the DVD from youtube, and reading more on the safety/kickback issues.

I do have a minor question: When adjusting the blade height, I move the locking lever to the left and then turn the crank. It moves but does not feel smooth, perhaps described as a bit notchy. Is that normal for the bt3100?

UPDATE: I should have searched more before posting my question: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...+raising+blade

Thanks again!
                Last edited by superape; 07-19-2008, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...