X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unknown poster
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006

Blade questions

I need to buy a better dado, my old wobbler doesn't produce acceptable results. I also just picked up a RAS and I want to use the dado on there too, which limits me to an 8" blade (the 6" blade isn't big enough to clear the bottom of the RAS motor). I know the Freud SD206 is popular around here, but I don't know why the 6" is more popular than the 8". Am I going to regret getting an 8" dado for my 21829?

While I'm blade shopping I need to get a new blade for my 21829, because the one that comes with it is pretty worthless. I know the Forrest WWII is well regarded but that's more than I would like to spend. My upcoming projects are going to be mostly made from plywood and MDF. What are my options for a good blade that won't break the bank?
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

There's a couple recent threads about an 8" on a BT or 21829. You won't be able to use a full stack on the 21829, unless you do some modifications. Here's one thread; http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=37948
    Erik

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Here is a link to a recent wood magazine saw blade test. No dadoes though.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/pdf...The-Retest.pdf
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• unknown poster
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by pelligrini
        There's a couple recent threads about an 8" on a BT or 21829. You won't be able to use a full stack on the 21829, unless you do some modifications. Here's one thread; http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=37948
        Thanks for the link, my search didn't find it. One of these days I'm going to read the FAQ that Loring sent me. I'll go look at that boss tonight and decide if I really want to start grinding on this saw to fit an 8" dado. Being limited to 1/2" won't work, I'm building cabinets so 3/4" dados are a must.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

There's not that many drawbacks to a 6" blade set. I'm not sure how a smaller dia set would work in your RAS though.
          Erik

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Your 21829 will benefit from a good thin kerf blade. There are lots of blades that will rival the WWII in various aspects for less money.....Infinity Combomax Lite (010-150), Infinity 010-060 (Hi-ATB grind...especially good in plywood), Freud LU88R010, or Freud Avanti TK406 for example. The Freud LU86R010 or Freud Avanti TK306 are very good general purpose bargains. MDF can be tough on blades...you might want to invest in a cheapie specifically for MDF.
            Last edited by Knottscott; 06-03-2008, 04:01 PM.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by unknown poster
              Thanks for the link, my search didn't find it. One of these days I'm going to read the FAQ that Loring sent me. I'll go look at that boss tonight and decide if I really want to start grinding on this saw to fit an 8" dado. Being limited to 1/2" won't work, I'm building cabinets so 3/4" dados are a must.
              you don't hav to read the whole FAQ. it is completely hyperlinked from the questions section and you can also use the binoculars Icon and search for a keyword like Dado, it will take you to all instances. IT's really designed to help you answer specific questions and not have to read the whole thing.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

It is a pretty good read though, there's quite a few tips I wouldn't have thought of.
                Erik

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

The 8" dado in it's widest configuration has clearance issues in the BT-family saws. Thing about a 6" dado blade is that it will cut a pretty deep dado in a BT, deep enough for most needs, and doesn't have the same clearance issues as an 8" set, so there really is no advantage to getting an 8".

Comment

Working...