X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • docrowan
    • Mar 2007
    • New Albany, MS
    • BT3100

I've used the SMT successfully to cut up to 24" wide 3/4 MDF panels. I had to replace the standard fence with a feather board, but it worked well. I bought the accessory kit with the miter slot, but haven't been able to figure out how to use it successfully yet. It's too close to the blade for most of what I'd use it for.

Biggest problem I have with the SMT is the fact it sticks 6 inches or so beyond the saw. Great to catch you right in the side.
    - Chris.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by docrowan
      Biggest problem I have with the SMT is the fact it sticks 6 inches or so beyond the saw. Great to catch you right in the side.
      Hint: reverse it front to back to store it when not using it for crosscuts. The slide portion will stick out the back and not hit your hip. There is a lock latch position so that you can lock it even with the main table for additional support in wider rips and stuff.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

I used the SMT a bunch when the saw was brand new, and it slowly lost alignment. I adjusted it, which took quite a lot of time, and it held for less time, and this was repeated a couple of times over the few years I had the BT. For the last year or so I just gave up on it entirely. Made some cross cut jigs that served me well on the BT.

Then I got the PM2000 and made a double miter bar cross cut sled, and I'm SO sold! The SMT was definitely better than a miter gauge, but I like my sled a lot more. It lacks the adjustments for angles, but for 90 it's PERFECT. A nice long fence allows me to tune it into great accuracy, and it's held that since I've built it.

Maybe I just had bad luck with my SMT, but it was too finicky for my taste.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Mine is always on the saw and is used all the time. I have never had any trouble with it. Some guys have. I bought a slot table to install in this, but never found the need. I eventually sold it again. It must be doing pretty well for me in that case.

I was building chess boards at one time and I found the SMT to be extremely accurate for cutting all the parts and getting the boards perfectly square.
          It would have been more difficult with all but the biggest nicest miter gauge.
          Lee

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

I'm a lover of the SMT. It's much more stable than a miter guage (unless you buy one of the fence based systems and even then they don't have the bottom support that helps the stock stay aligned). I've had very little problem with the angle adjustment. Without using the 0 stop, I know where the zero is and can lock the fence down on it within +-.01 degrees. If I am working on something that need perfect pricision miters that are repeatable, then I use set-up blocks aligned with the blade. Never a problem.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Schleeper
              Established Member
              • Feb 2008

All I can say is that it's so much better than the OEM miter gauge that I was using on my previous saw, an inexpensive Craftsman bench saw. I may think differently if I ever get a hankering for a crosscut or dado sled, though.

Where I've found it particularly handy, is when I switch it to the other side of the accessory table to provide a larger surface, and miter capabilities, when using the router.
              "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)

Comment

• Uncle Hook
                Established Member
                • Apr 2005
                • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

I like my SMT so much I bought a second one to provide support for longer stock on both sides of the saw.

Comment

Working...