X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

SMT parts needed...help!

Well, I broke one of the plastic washers that adjusts the side tension on the SMT.
    It is part #28 shown below. The part number is TTI-661845001 on M&Ds website.
    Can anyone tell me if the part from the Sears saw will fit? If so, what is that part number?
    I tried the above part number on Sears website and it says it is discontinued.

Thanks all

Salty
    Last edited by Salty; 11-23-2008, 01:21 PM.
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?
  • JohnnyLisa
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • Pensacola, Florida
    • Sears Craftsman # 21829

Sears SMT part number

The Sears part number listed in the manual for the lower slide is 0181010204. I checked the Sears parts website, but did not find this listed as a separate part. I'll check with the local Sears warehouse this week and see if they can order them.

By the way, the Craftsman full model number for the saw is 315.218290, and the customer help line is 1-800-932-3188.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

you might also check the same part on the 315.228110, the old sears counterpart to the BT3000. In many cases the parts have been half the price of the 21829 saw, although it now looks like the cheapest parts are $2.16 minimum, compared to 53 cents or something-odd cents like that through the other dealers.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Salty
        • Feb 2006
        • Akron, Ohio

Yea, I see the $2.16 price. However, that may be for a set. As seen here it says lower slides...plural...may be 4 of them. I call the number on this screen and talked to a friendly guy. However, he could not tell me if this was for a set or not.
        So, I can buy these and pay only $9 something for the belts, which I know will eventuall have to be replaced. Or, pay $.50 or so for the ones at M&D and pay twice as much for the belts.
        Would you people suggest I buy anything else at the same time that I may need in the future? Shims maybe?
        Last edited by Salty; 11-23-2008, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I doubt its for a set. Single pieces. Sears is just real high on everything and it seems like there's a minimum of $2.16 per the cheapest part.

I'd say convenience is their biggest asset - they have the exploded views on line so its easy to pick the part. If you need only one part and the shipping is $5 then 50 cents or $2.16 doesn't matter much.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Salty
            • Feb 2006
            • Akron, Ohio

Thanks all for the input and help.
            I glued the old one with epoxy but I doubt it will hold for long.
            I do remember that recently it fell to the floor and landed on a corner. That probably did it.
            Anyway, I ordered 2 belts, 1 upper guide and 2 lower guide from the sears parts place. Hope they fit!
            I actually got all of that plus tax and shipping for less than what 2 belts costs at M&D...go figure.

Comment

• JohnnyLisa
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2005
              • Pensacola, Florida
              • Sears Craftsman # 21829

Sears parts question

Salty,
              When you get your parts, please let us know if the lower slides come in a set or individually. I have a couple broken on an old SMT and ne to know how many of this number to order.

Thanks,
              John

Comment

• Salty
                • Feb 2006
                • Akron, Ohio

Will do John.
                Website says it was shipped yesterday...probably via USPS.
                May have it by Friday...maybe!

EDIT;
                As I was typing this I got an email from Partsdirect. Says the order has moved from Middleburg Heights Ohio in route to Akron. Odd thing is, it does not list the UPS tracking number, just pulls the tracking detail into their site. May be here tomorrow.
                Last edited by Salty; 03-04-2008, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Salty
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Akron, Ohio

Well John, the good news is I got the package today.
                  Bad news is the small parts are individual. 1 each of the upper slide and I had ordered 2 of the lower slides, the one I broke.
                  For about $16.50 more I could have had 8 each of the slides.
                  That works out to a little over $2 each if I would have ordered them from M&D.
                  Mind you that this is because of the higher price of the belts.
                  So, I think I still did OK.
                  Hope the belts are correct. The number seems correct, 662329-001
                  They are about 3-3/8" around and about 9/16" wide. Does that seem correct?
                  I cannot recall ever looking at them close when changing the blade.

Dale

Comment

Working...