Clear All
  • RyFitz13
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Terryville, CT, USA.
    • BT3100

Sliding Miter table problem...

Hey all,

I recently had to disassemble my sliding miter table to get at a couple parts that had fallen into the slot that the miter fence rides in. Long story short, now that it's re-assembled, there is significant side-to-side wobble in the miter table itself. I've taken it apart again and put everything back as it originally was, but for the life of me I can't get a snug enough fit to keep the miter sliding straight back and forth with no lateral wobble.

Has anyone else run across this, or does anyone have any suggestions to correct the problem?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

there's four screws that hold the sliding table in place. Three of them are "Eccentric shaft" screws. One is "fixed". The screws are adjusted by rotating the screw head with a screwdriver until the left-right position of the screw takes up the slack and points the table slide in the right directions. When its right, hold the screw and tighten the nut.

Somewhere there's probably a better description of how to make these adjustments.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

It appears Loring has given you a fix... just thought I would add how to stay away from a re-occurance of the "fix... Get yourself a cheap little tele-scoping magnet. Only about 6" long and telescope out to around 24". Their is a magnet at the end. Their are a zillion various sizes.

You can get them at any auto parts store and I think I have even seen them at the box stores if you look hard. They are a mechanic's "best friend" outside his dog.

Comment

• RyFitz13
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Terryville, CT, USA.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        there's four screws that hold the sliding table in place. Three of them are "Eccentric shaft" screws. One is "fixed". The screws are adjusted by rotating the screw head with a screwdriver until the left-right position of the screw takes up the slack and points the table slide in the right directions. When its right, hold the screw and tighten the nut.

Somewhere there's probably a better description of how to make these adjustments.
        Thanks a ton - I'll check it out tonight and, with any luck, be back in business... Any tips on identifying which screw is the eccentric shaft screw? I don't think I did - but it's possible that I moved the screws around from their original positions when I first dis- and re-assembled the table. Assuming I can ID the eccentric shaft screw, is there any one specific spot where it's "supposed" to go?

Thanks again!

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by RyFitz13
          Any tips on identifying which screw is the eccentric shaft screw?
          It's the other way 'round ... three are eccentric, one is not. If memory serves, as you face the saw the non-eccentric one is the right front (i.e., nearest you, and nearest the blade).

Getting the other three adjusted "just right," so that the SMT slides freely but without side-to-side wobble, will take some time and patience. The best way I've ever been able to figure out how to describe the final adjustment, when you're getting close, is to not think so much in terms of turning the screws as applying pressure. It's a hair-trigger adjustment between "just right" and "too tight."
          Last edited by LarryG; 02-27-2008, 08:07 AM. Reason: left out a word
          Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

An additional note or two - the screws are made of some hard but brittle metal - overtorque those babies and they'll break and are ONLY available from Ryobi, not your run of the mill local ACE hardware screws. Most people try and adjust them so that there's no play at all, then they complain that the slider binds... you need to leave a tiniest bit of slop so it will slide freely.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by LarryG
              It's the other way 'round ... three are eccentric, one is not. If memory serves, as you face the saw the Non-eccentric one is the right front (i.e., nearest you, and nearest the blade).

Getting the other three adjusted "just right," so that the SMT slides freely but without side-to-side wobble, will take some time and patience. The best way I've ever been able to figure out how to describe the final adjustment, when you're getting close, is to not think so much in terms of turning the screws as applying pressure. It's a hair-trigger adjustment between "just right" and "too tight."

Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...