• Show
Clear All
  • charger1966
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Amsterdam, New York
    • Shopsmith 10ER (1948),BT3100 New to me January 2007

Dado installed today

Hey Guys, I installed a new Dado blade on my BT3100 today. It's a Delta Micro Adjust Wobble Blade. OK My question is, Does the BT spin too fast for this type of Dado Blade? If so , Can I just run the motor thru the Router Speed control to slow it down? I found that it does vibrate and I dont want it to shake itself apart.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

That is the nature of a wobble dado. It is inherently unbalanced... way unbalanced. Your motor is not powerful enough to spin one of those things through any hard wood, and your arbor bearings are gonna take a beating and probably fail before their time.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i saw a rating of 7000 rpm for that blade, BT goes at a relatively quick 5000-5500 RPM so it should be OK.

They're not really unbalanced, but they do vibrate more than stack dados.
      If you can get it on I guess it will work OK.

Don't know of anyone running BT on a speed control, theoretically possible, but your cuts may not be as smooth or fast.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jlm
        Established Member
        • Oct 2005
        • Austin, TX

Yeah, the BT appears to run just fine with a router speed control on it. Since it's a universal motor (not an induction one), it shouldn't do any harm. I hooked my HF speed control up to the BT3100 once out of curiosity, and it's kind of freaky to see a table saw blade turning v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y... It's also kind of fun to play "throttle" with it. Aside from a wobble dado blade, I can't think of any other use for slowing it down, though.

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by jlm
          Aside from a wobble dado blade, I can't think of any other use for slowing it down, though.
          Previous discussion centered around using a speed control on the BT3K if using one of those sanding disks. I plan on getting a speed control for that purpose some day. I primarily use my Ridgid oscillating belt sander when I need to do sanding, but a sanding disk is a little more precise.

But Loring is right, everyone said it should work but I don't think anyone actually tried it. I'm glad you've confirmed this works.

Comment

Working...