• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

21829 at Sears just like HD

walked into a sears the other day just to look around the hardware dept.

I guess sears has inherited the HD mantle. The 21829 was a shambles.

The SMT was on backwards (as usual probably to keep people from bashing their hips into its extended length hanging out the front)

The SMT right rear latch was broken off and the mechanism bent (evidently dropped onto the floor at some point)

The Miter fence was screwed securely in the slot, but the pivot was nowhere near the hole for it so the fence was sort of parallel to the table and the fence was up and cockeyed at one end because the pivot was trapped between the table and the fence.

That's all I noticed in a thirty-second exam.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Whenever I see that I really have to resist the urge to make the thing look at least presentable.
    Joe

Comment

• Hoyden
      Established Member
      • Jan 2005
      • Twin Falls, ID, USA.

every time I go into sears to look at the tools I find myself telling the floor staff that some tool or another is put together wrong. I am amazed they can sell much of anything.
      PawPaw

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Originally posted by JoeyGee
        Whenever I see that I really have to resist the urge to make the thing look at least presentable.
        That's interesting - I do the same thing, especially to the 21829! I've also noticed what Loring has in my local store - including missing parts - it bugs me, as I feel it's a mis-representation of the quality of the tool; but then I see who's staffing the tool section, sigh with resignation, and try not to be concerned about the decline of knowledge and experience available should I actually need to ask someone a serious question about any tool in the store. Sears has become Kmart.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

Originally posted by b0330923
          Sears has become Kmart.
          No Sears IS KMart

I have the same crap where I go. I was looking for a router and went and asked a old bloke (who I thought might actually know something) about a router and he had to ask one of the snot wipers what I was on about.

Sears is a place you just have to go in and know your stuff....because you wont find any help there....even Dwight Allman behind the counter was stumped
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

• rjwaldren
            Established Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Fresno, CA

I recently received a response to a problem that I had with my online Sears account. The return email address was "@kmart.com"

Comment

• jonmnelson
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2007
              • Long Beach, CA
              • Craftsman 21829/Jet 708100 (don't ask)

It's too bad, because the first time I looked at the 21829 in Sears it looked like Loring described. I figured it couldn't be much of a saw. Maybe if they took the time to learn how to set it up correctly they might sell even more of them.

Comment

Working...