Clear All
  • Les Sayers
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • N. Ireland
    • Piece of ****

Buying used BT300

Hi folks.

I am going to look at, and hpoefully buy, a used BT3000 tomorrow evening (UK time).

Can anyone suggest a fair price, either in US or UK currency, assuming that the saw is complete and in good nick?

I am also trying to find the tabletop dimensions, will some kind soul help me out? The reason for this request is that if it is too big I will save myself a journey.

I have read some of the literature available (Jim Frye) on a check list for assesssing the condition, does anyone know of any other matter which may need to be addressed or make this a "walk away"?

I am told the saw was bought new about 5 years ago, does that sound right, when did the BT3100 supersede the 3000?

Thanks for any help - I hope it is in good nick as I have been looking for quite some time.

Les.
  • eccentrictinkerer
    • Aug 2007
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • BT-3000, 21829

Regarding the dimensions, I moved my BT3000 clone home in my van, fully assembled. Because I was a newbie, I didn't realize how modular the saw is.

The largest component is the saw body and that's hardly bigger than the molded case for my framing nailer .

Either base can be broken down also.

Good luck!

I've had my saw for only 5 months, but I enjoy more than any tool I've ever owned.
    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• cdub101
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2007

I fit mine in the back of a Camry Coupe. I got the sears 21829, and the saw had to be taken off of the base, and I took the rails off too, but it fit fine.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

i think they made the BT3000 for the US market up until about 2002-2003.
        But you being in Ireland/UK brings up a question - There were some 220V BT3s made and sold in Europe but I think those were discontinued quite a while before the BT3000 ended in the US... I'm thinking aboiut 1998-1999 time period. There were a few BT3 owners in the UK whom I have not seen on the forum who had 220V UK BT3s.

AS MENTIONED its not a very large saw if you break it down... the aux table and SMT have clamps to remove them. THe rails are released with four levers. The main saw body is bolted to the stand with four bolts and nuts.

The main body is about 24" x 24" x 15" roughly I guess 60cm x 60cm x 50 cm in metric - about 75 lbs or ... about 35 kilos. when removed from the base. Stands 38" high with the base.

I have a faq that might help with some of your questions.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Les Sayers
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006
          • N. Ireland
          • Piece of ****

Buying used BT300

Hi - and thanks.

Good information.

Loring - PM sent

Must give Ray (UK) a shout I have his phone number somewhere.

Thanks again.

Les.
          Last edited by Les Sayers; 01-11-2008, 08:14 AM. Reason: Addition - with thanks to Loring for FAQ

Comment

• Les Sayers
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006
            • N. Ireland
            • Piece of ****

Hi again - New owner of a not so proud BT3000

Perhaps not too bad; but there are a number of issues which need resolving.

Good points are that the main table, motor, rise, tilt, rails and blade are excellent, the table is grubby but ding free and appears flat, all clamps are there and seem servicable. Surpringly it is a lot quieter than my Makita 2704.
            There is no visible arbour run-out.

One plus point at this satge, there is an extruded aluminium intermediate table with mitre slot.

Issues :-

1. - Rip fence rear lock broken, all parts missing. Still locks securely at front.

2. - Mitre bar missing - owner says he didn't know what I was referring to.
            (Apparently the saw was used purely for ripping).

3. - The SMT main parts are there, however I will need some parts to get it up and running.

After some haggling, and with the knowledge gleaned from this forum, I convinced him that a "lot" of work was needed to restore/repair the saw.

He, reluctantly, agreed and bowed to my "superior" (his words, not mine) knowledge. He agreed that he never realised the potential of the package.

Anyway, he accepted less than half the asking price. NO! - I am not going to tell you what I paid; but SWMBO came along and she spotted a 1200W router (cheapie) and a brand new and boxed 1/3 sheet sander and small jigsaw which the seller took £10 ($20) for.

I think I am happy with the BT3000 - hoping to get the required parts, then I should be very happy.

Keep an eye out for me I shall probably need advice and a source for parts.

Once again, thanks to BT3 Central for the wealth of information freely given and to those who took a personal interest.

I know how you all enjoy your BT3X saws and I admire your enthusiasm.

Watch this space for pictures of my setup.

All the best to you and your's.

Les, (and Fiona)

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

you'lll want those rear rip fence locking parts. Will be a lot more solid.
              I suppose if you like conventional miter bar guides with your miter slots then the SMT is not too important but
              I really like the SMT concept so a miter fence would also be in your future, then.

good luck, keep us posted!
              Did you ever talk to Ray in the UK or Atilla the hun?
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-11-2008, 08:29 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Les Sayers
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2006
                • N. Ireland
                • Piece of ****

Absolutely right Loring - I want the saw complete and fully featured, the sliding table is one of the main reasons I am so interested in the saw.

I will be doing a major strip and re-assembly today and lubricating all that's needed, and I will source the spares, probably from your side of the pond.

Might post a few photos on photobucket.

Thats all for now.

Comment

• Les Sayers
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006
                  • N. Ireland
                  • Piece of ****

It's me again.

Stripped the saw and found what I suspected - bent tabs on one of those shims. Did the quick fix with polyurethane (windscreen/windshield adhesive).

Rebuilt today and lubricated with graphite - smooth as silk. Not a difficult job at all, I used 4x4mm drill bits to support the arbour shims (the punched ones), went together easy as pie.

I still have to order the missing parts; but i think I have two suppliers in the US who have the parts and will post.

Spoke to Ray (UK) who pointed me in the right direction for parts.

I really appreciate all the information on BT3 Central which made the strip and rebuild so much easier, a pleasure actually. To all who took an active interest a very big thank you.

BTW I did a couple of test cuts (with the deficient fence) and everything looks very promising, nice clean accuare bevels etc. The right tilt is new to me and I have read up on the pros and cons, I don't see a problem. My other saw, a Makita 2704 is a left tilter so I can choose.

Talk to you soon.

Comment

Working...