X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

Craftsman model number for BT3K?

I have a chance to buy a Craftsman table saw that the fellow says is a BT3K. The model number is #228110 and I can pick it up for $100 or less. I need a good table saw for my basement shop and do not want to purchase a larger saw just yet. From the pictures it appears to be in really good shape.

Any advice is more than welcome for this newbie member.
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"
  • RAV2
    Established Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Massachusetts

Sears model # is 21829:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...?keyword=21829

On sale in Craftsman Club for $360 or less Jan 6 - 12.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Yes, the 22811 is Craftsman's version of the BT3K.
      Erik

Comment

• jonmulzer
        • Dec 2007
        • Indianapolis, IN

So is it a good deal for $100? Is there anything that I cannot do with the BT3K versus the BT3100? What is the maximum rip width for the BT3K?
        "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

all the specs are the same. The older models had a problem with the shims that is an easy fix. Other than that, the models are basically identical except for color and some old ones have a cast metal raise/tilt wheel (much better than the later plastic wheel).
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
            • Aug 2007
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • BT-3000, 21829

I have 22811 and it's a re-brand of the earlier BT3000 with minor differences. Most parts are available from Sears and other sources. (Interesting side note, Sears sells the belts for the 22811/BT3000 for about $9 ea. They get $19 ea. for the 28911/BT3100. They're the same belt! Go figure.)

I just put in new shims (original flat style) and it's works beautifully. A nickel, on edge, doesn't move when starting or stopping the saw, FWIW.

I put a Freud 60 tooth blade in it and it makes the best cuts I've ever experienced. I can send you a pdf file of the operator/parts manual, just PM me.

And, BTW, at $100, it's a heckuva good deal. IMHO.

Re: Rip width - I believe it's 24" or more I'll measure it tonight.
            Last edited by eccentrictinkerer; 01-02-2008, 06:03 PM.
            You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
            of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

in the time line of things the Sears 22811 was sold in the latter years of BT3000 production which would have put it around 1999 to 2002 or so?

Basically is more a BT3000 than a BT3100. My Faq (see my sig line below) lists all the differences.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jonmulzer
                • Dec 2007
                • Indianapolis, IN

Thanks everyone for all their advice. If the guy ever gets back to me I am going to snatch it up. I have also found a BTS15 for my father for $50. He just wants something to make some birdhouses and such. Should be a fine saw for him. You have to love craigslist.

Comment

• jonmulzer
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Indianapolis, IN

Well, that guy quit returning emails even though he seemed eager to sell for $75. I have found another one for $225, seems like a rather premium price though. I do not want to overpay and he does not want to negotiate much. What do you guys think?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/529112239.html

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

quick fold table is nice, I have one and it gives a nice big outfeed table but folds up and hangs from the back rail. That's worth something...
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jonmulzer
                      • Dec 2007
                      • Indianapolis, IN

Perhaps, but is it worth $225? He flatly rejected $150 because his father paid $500 for the saw new and he says the extension table is worth $180 online by itself. It does not seem like a good deal to me, but you guys know more about this stuff than I do.

Comment

Working...