X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siliconbauhaus
    • Dec 2006
    • hagerstown, md

jig parts

Apart from buying the T nuts from T Nuts.com are there any other places (ie borg etc) where you can get parts for making jigs?

I want to make a stop for my smt fence and have a go at the rip fence by Rod K. I bought some toilet bolts and they will fit the narrow slots of the rails with a bit of file work but I cant figure out what to use in the wide slots.

I'm not adverse to buying the T nuts but I was hoping to knock something out today rather than wait for them.
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
    Apart from buying the T nuts from T Nuts.com are there any other places (ie borg etc) where you can get parts for making jigs?

I want to make a stop for my smt fence and have a go at the rip fence by Rod K. I bought some toilet bolts and they will fit the narrow slots of the rails with a bit of file work but I cant figure out what to use in the wide slots.

I'm not adverse to buying the T nuts but I was hoping to knock something out today rather than wait for them.
    Knock some out yourself:
    You can go buy some flat aluminum strips, maybe 1/8" thick, 1 to 1.5 inches wide.
    Make rectangular pieces using the as purchased width and cut to length as measured from the inside width of the T-slot.
    Round off the corners and edges with a file/sandpaper, drill and tap a hole in the middle for a bolt or even glue in a short piece of threaded rod.
    The aluminum is a bit soft on the threads compared to steel but easier to work with and will last a long time if you use reasonable force on your knobs.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-24-2007, 12:49 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
      • Dec 2006
      • hagerstown, md

That's an idea.....have to go get a tap or 2.
      パトリック
      daiku woodworking
      ^deshi^
      neoshed

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

My accessory table is attached the way Loring describes. Some of the flat stock I threaded is aluminum and some is steel. If you are not familar with taps, aluminum would be best, at least to start. The steel sold in Home Depot is soft, however, and not hard to thread.

For some applications, I have also tapped threads in flat stock and then brazed all thread to it to make a stud I can put a knob on.

For the fence slot facing the blade, I filed down thin 1/4 inch nuts.

Jim

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

I haven't used a tap since metal work at school but I don't think it'll be a problem.

I don't have any welding/brazing gear but I was wondering if silver soldering would be sufficient?
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

• dkhoward
            • Dec 2003
            • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
            • bt3000

I have used elevator bolts on my BT for years. You can get them at lowe's in various lengths. A little judicious work on a grinder will cut a flat spot on one side of the big flat heads of the bolts which makes them fit perfectly in the wide slots on the saw. If you are careful with the grinding, they will not o nly fit, but they wont spin either which makes putting knobs on the much easier.
            Dennis K Howard
            www.geocities.com/dennishoward
            "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
              I haven't used a tap since metal work at school but I don't think it'll be a problem.

I don't have any welding/brazing gear but I was wondering if silver soldering would be sufficient?

I think if you use a drop of the red loctite thread locking stuff on a short piece of allthread then it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

I have used the red threadlocker, and I have also used superglue. The threadlocker seems to come apart easier, but the superglue tends to gravitate toward your fingers. DAMHIK
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                  • Dec 2006
                  • hagerstown, md

Are elevator bolts in the special drawers area of the hardware section? I''ve never heard of them before.

I was referring to silver soldering to attach a piece of all thread to flat stock instead of brazing as Jim D mentioned
                  パトリック
                  daiku woodworking
                  ^deshi^
                  neoshed

Comment

Working...