• Show
Clear All
  • dkerfoot
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Holland, Michigan
    • Craftsman 21829

21829 Differences

I just realized while looking at a picture of the BT3100 that the rails are shorter than on my 21829.

What is the actual Rail Length of the BT3000/BT3100? 21829 is 47" not counting the end caps.

Also, I bought a BT3000 accessory table and it rides a bit higher than the stock one for the 21829. Is the BT3100 the same or would it match the 21829 height better?
    Doug Kerfoot
    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
    KeyLlama.com
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

21829 vs. Bt3000 0r 3100

I don't know the exact length of the Bt3 rails...I sold mine last year when I
    installed diffferent ones on my saw. As for the sliding miter table...it is suppost to be slightly higher than the main saw table, so when you are
    crosscutting your stock it will not bind it up before it gets to the blade to be cut. The difference in height of the sliding table and main saw table is negligable ( very minor amount). eezlock

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I believe the actual length of the BT3x rails are 42" as are the extension rails.
      Very interesting that the 21829 rails would be 47" long.
      Don't know why the BT3000 aux/router table would sit a bit higher. I would have guessed that the same height was used in the castings for the main table which has the bosses for the rails.
      I think for all practical purposes the height of the BT3000 and BT3100 aux tables and SMT are identical.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gwyneth
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        I believe the actual length of the BT3x rails are 42" as are the extension rails.
        Especially because that's about the amount the rails usually have to be scootched to the right so they don't hit the floor when the cart folds up. The slightly shorter ones would work much better with the folding cart, IMO.

One indication that the length is a real orphan strand of the design: the measuring scale tape stops five inches short of the right end of the rail--almost undoubtedly the same as on the BT3100.

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by gwyneth
          Especially because that's about the amount the rails usually have to be scootched to the right so they don't hit the floor when the cart folds up. The slightly shorter ones would work much better with the folding cart, IMO.

One indication that the length is a real orphan strand of the design: the measuring scale tape stops five inches short of the right end of the rail--almost undoubtedly the same as on the BT3100.
          So the rails in the normal 21829 config extend further to the left than those on a BT3K?

Comment

• dkerfoot
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Holland, Michigan
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by cgallery
            So the rails in the normal 21829 config extend further to the left than those on a BT3K?
            They extend whichever way you want them to.

Personally, I love the ability to slide them to either side of the blade. This was a huge help when I was having to cross-cut 7' long engineered wood flooring.
            Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

• DonHo
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2004
              • Shawnee, OK, USA.
              • Craftsman 21829

I'm pretty sure the BT3100 rails are 41" long. I had bought a set of 1/2 rails for my BT3100 because I wanted a longer extension for my router table. When I bought the 21289 and found the rails were longer I decided their extra length were enough so I sold my 3100 rails and the 1/2 rails. At first I was going to use the 3100 rails and the extension and I didn't notice a difference with either SMT on the 3100 rails. When I decided to keep the 21289 rails I didn't try the 3100 SMT on the new rails so I can't say for sure but I don't think there is much if any difference.

DonHo
              Don

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

Originally posted by dkerfoot
                They extend whichever way you want them to.

Personally, I love the ability to slide them to either side of the blade. This was a huge help when I was having to cross-cut 7' long engineered wood flooring.
                I guess my Q is relative to the scale. Do they have more aluminum to the right of the scale (and does the scale go above 24"), or to the left?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  Don't know why the BT3000 aux/router table would sit a bit higher. I would have guessed that the same height was used in the castings for the main table which has the bosses for the rails.
                  I think for all practical purposes the height of the BT3000 and BT3100 aux tables and SMT are identical.

Komatoast would probably be the man to answer on the tables. I believe the height difference is the height of the ribs.
                  The rails I knew were slightly longer, but I still don't know if the profiles are the same. I seem to remember a discussion on that, but I lost it.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• gwyneth
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by cgallery
                    I guess my Q is relative to the scale. Do they have more aluminum to the right of the scale (and does the scale go above 24"), or to the left?
                    They have about five and a half inches of plain aluminum to the right of the scale. What I meant was that the scale itself it probably the one from the BT3100, because the scale tape just stops.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Holland, Michigan
                      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by gwyneth
                      They have about five and a half inches of plain aluminum to the right of the scale. What I meant was that the scale itself it probably the one from the BT3100, because the scale tape just stops.

Here is a picture of what Gwyneth is describing:
                      Attached Files
                      Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

• dkerfoot
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Holland, Michigan
                        • Craftsman 21829

Is it possible to snug the accessory table all the way up on the left side of the saw on the BT3s? I can't do it with the accessory table from the BT3000 because of the mounts for the optional left miter table, but it is no problem with the one from the 21829.

The difference in height does indeed seem to be the grooves. This hasn't been a problem since I use the extra table exclusively for mounting a router. But, now I am wondering if the two dual miter tables that are being delivered today will ride too high... I'll post an update when I find out.

Because of the built-in miter slots, the accessory table on the 21829 is considerably wider. In practice, this makes it much easier to slide up and down the rails without binding.

Here a few more pictures to illustrate:
                        Attached Files
                        Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

• dkerfoot
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2004
                          • Holland, Michigan
                          • Craftsman 21829

But, now I am wondering if the two dual miter tables that are being delivered today will ride too high... I'll post an update when I find out.
                          The dual miter tables arrived today and they will work fine. In fact, it looks like I'll need to use all four supplied shims (2 per side) and if there were more, I'd consider adding a 3rd one per side.

No answers for this question?

Is it possible to snug the accessory table all the way up on the left side of the saw on the BT3s?
                          Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

I got the dual miter slot table very soon after I assembling the saw. A local damaged freight store had a kit, cheap, then Sears had them on the closeout table.

Extra shims (thanks to reading it here) can be made of tape and aluminum (cans, flashing, etc), and brass.

Since I got it so quick, I didn't have the table over. Now at the store, (Sears), they did have it all the way over, but I didn't see how it was adjusted, as they don't assemble things well.
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...