X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickT
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003

8" dado (Freud SD508) on BT3100

Has anyone successfully used the Freud SD508 (8"dado) on a BT3100? I know I'm supposed to use a 6". I'v wanted an SD506 with Freud's new ICE coating, but I recently learned that it will be at least 1 - 1 1/2 years before they will be making any more 6" dado blades. They don't sell many of them, and they won't make more with the new ICE coating until the ones in stock are sold. I picked up the SD508 with the ICE coating, and the blade closest to the arbor bracket will rub slightly where the bracket extends for mounting the riving knife/splitter. I recall some of you using 8" dado blades and using a Dremel to clear enough space for the blade. Anyone have experience and/or comments? Should I return the 8" and buy the 6"? Will I every need the extra depth provided by the 8"? Will I damage my saw by using the 8"? I honestly won't be using it too frequently.
    Thanks,
    Rick
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by RickT
    Has anyone successfully used the Freud SD508 (8"dado) on a BT3100? I know I'm supposed to use a 6". I'v wanted an SD506 with Freud's new ICE coating, but I recently learned that it will be at least 1 - 1 1/2 years before they will be making any more 6" dado blades. They don't sell many of them, and they won't make more with the new ICE coating until the ones in stock are sold. I picked up the SD508 with the ICE coating, and the blade closest to the arbor bracket will rub slightly where the bracket extends for mounting the riving knife/splitter. I recall some of you using 8" dado blades and using a Dremel to clear enough space for the blade. Anyone have experience and/or comments? Should I return the 8" and buy the 6"? Will I every need the extra depth provided by the 8"? Will I damage my saw by using the 8"? I honestly won't be using it too frequently.
    Thanks,
    Rick
    I have a SD308 and recently ordered a SD306 because I was tired of not being able to put that last chipper in.

I explain it fully in the BT3 FAQ but the 8" set requires one more spacer... and I don't want to be grinding parts off the saw housing.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

I don't have the Freud 8" set, but my Avenger 8" (ordered before I knew any better) works fine. I can get a 3/4" dado if I'm careful--I have to remove both spacers and the washers, but it fits with just barely enough clearance.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• HarmsWay
        • Nov 2003
        • Victoria, BC
        • BT3000

I've been using an SD508 on my BT3k for as long as I've had the saw. There were no clearance issues with mine but it was close so perhaps manufacturing tolerances account for the differences.

I bought the SD508 rather than the more appropriate 6" version because the latter was more expensive and was only available as special order.

Bob

Comment

• diamondman
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2006

It will work

So this is how to get the 508 to work on the BT3 saws. Use one of the shims (I don't recall which one I use, but it's one of the medium shims supplied with the set) and place on the arbor after removing everything else. Then, begin with the outside dado cutter blade and build up your dado set. I had no trouble getting to 3/4" without running out of smooth space on the arbor. Try not to go onto the threaded portion so as to get even cutting. The first shim will hold the set away from the aluminum casting enough to avoid problems.

Comment

Working...