X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjernigan
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2004

Cut tile on a BT3?

Okay, I get a feeling that I'm going to get my butt kicked by purists here, but here I go anyway:

I'm regrouting a shower surround of a '57 construction tub/shower combination, and replacing a few of the cracked tiles in the process. I don't have much to cut, and was considering just getting a dry tile blade and mounting it on my BT3100 for the very few (five or so) straight cuts that I need to make to complete the job.

First, will a tile blade fit the 3100, and second, if it will, am I making some terrible and dangerous mistake trying to do it this way?

Flame away if you must (I, too, generally disapprove of using a tool for something for which it wasn't designed...), but I'd rather not purchase or rent a separate saw for such a small lot of cuts. Thanks for any and all responses .

Mike
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

my biggest concern would be the RPM. I would imagine that the tile blades run slower, so it might not be the greatest idea putting them on a regular table saw.

Now if they have one that fits and is supposed to work with a circular saw, it might work fine. There are several people that I've come accross that use Circular saw blades to do cuts on material that they don't want to risk damaging a good blade.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

If you only have a few tiles to cut and they are all straight cuts I would suggest using this type of tile cutter: http://www.absolutehome.com/web/cata...450B4ABD3D45E8

They work well and you will not risk damaging the saw or possibly injury. You can rent or buy these in may places like Lowes or the BORG. I vote NO on the BT3.
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I agree with Rags,

If the tile is cuts are all straight, using a manual tile cutter should be a "snap". (pun intended). The manual cutter is simple to use, accurate and was the tool of the trades long before diamond wheels and portable wet saws became popular.

But if you are inclined to use a powered tool, then I think I'd just rent a proper wet saw. The cost is minimal when compared to the danger and damage that could result from trying to use a high-speed saw like the BT.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• mschrank
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2004
          • Hood River, OR, USA.
          • BT3000

Another possibility is taking the tiles to the store where you bought them and have them do the cuts with their saw in-house. I went this route with a half-dozen tiles I purchased from Home Depot...just make sure you mark the cuts and waste portion clearly.

I wouldn't do it on the BT...the rpm's are too high and will cause overheating the blade and tile.
          Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

the thing that would bother me is that the sawdust will be gritty powder that you will probably be forever feeling when you operate your once smooth operating saw...

I wouldn't do it.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

What other types of tools do you own?

My choices of available tools would be
              Rotozip ($10 bargain)
              Grinder with cutting wheel
              Circular saw with a cutting wheel
              or even a hacksaw before the BT(zip, as the tile shoots back at me).

Or mark what you need, find a tile guy and pay him a couple of bucks for some quick cuts.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Salty
                • Feb 2006
                • Akron, Ohio

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                the thing that would bother me is that the sawdust will be gritty powder that you will probably be forever feeling when you operate your once smooth operating saw...

I wouldn't do it.
                I agree. The dust getting into the saw motor alone will degrade the life of the saw. Go to HF and buy the cheapest circular saw they have. Get a masonry blade that fits it.
                Create a fixture to hold the tile while you are cutting it. You will probably have to cut it from the back because the glaze will be difficult to cut through.
                When done, throw out the saw.
                Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• p8ntblr
                  • Jan 2007
                  • So Cal
                  • Craftsman 22114

I have a cheapo tile saw from Borg I got on sale for (I believe) $60. I've done 2 kitchens and bathroom and still runs strong.
                  -Paul

Comment

• mjernigan
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Nov 2004

Wow... what a friendly bunch. I don't even feel toasted, much less flamed .

At any rate, thanks, folks... you've all confirmed what I already knew deep down, anyway. I most like the idea of just heading back to the BORG and cutting the few I need on their saw, since I bought the tile there anyway. And when the next tile project inevitibly comes along (LOML imagination's running wild now that she went along to the tile section), I'll get a proper saw.

Thanks, everyone.

Mike

Comment

• scorrpio
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I'll throw a monkey wrench in. I did mount a 7 1/4" abrasive wheel in BT3 and successfully cut fiber cement shingles. Granted, they are softer than tile, but still. Respirator is a must. I had blade guard in place so that most dust would be directed under the table, where I connected a shop vac with a HEPA filter. After I was done, I thoroughly vacuumed the top of the saw. Been using my BT3 extensively after that, and never felt any grit in the works.

One optin for tile I don't see listed here is a jigsaw. I had excellent results with a Bosch T130RF1 carbide grit blade.(special for ceramics) Use a straightedge to make straight cuts, but the blade can do curves as well.

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

I have never cut tile on my BT3100 but I did it on my last table saw. It worked but was probably part of the reason the bearings on the arbor failed. I would not do it again.

I cut tile with a cheap, chinese made, right angle grinder with a cheap masonary abrasive blade. I also have what I call a "cracker" - the scoring tool for straight cuts. I have done several hundred square feet in two different homes including 3 bathrooms. The only time I used a wet saw was on natural marble for a countertop in our current house. For tile, you do not need a wet saw. A little right angle grinder and an abrasive blade will make any cut that is not straight. I have made a round hole for a toilet and a picture frame shaped piece for a soap dish with my grinder. It took two tries for the picture frame but I got the round hole in one try. It makes a lot of dust but a wet saw gets the tile all wet where you have to dry it before you can use it. Either one is best used outside. Grinders are a lot cheaper and can also be used to cut and shape metal (with a different blade).

Jim

Comment

Working...