• Show
Clear All
  • sleddogg
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Reedsburg, WI
    • Ryobi BT3100 Italian blade

ordered new power switch

Used my bt3100 for the first time in a couple months yesterday and when I turned it off...durn thing kept running. Yikes!!! I probably havent turned it on and off more than 40 times since I got it just over two years ago. Seems pretty common from the limited search I did here (thanks to all). Hopefully the new switch will never fail in such a manner. If it's not safe, I won't own it and won't sell it to anyone else either, No Way! I run the saw off of a 20 amp circuit, could this have any impact on the switch?
    Thanks.
    Lance Tonkinson
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by sleddogg
    ... I run the saw off of a 20 amp circuit, could this have any impact on the switch?
    Thanks.
    Lance Tonkinson
    probably not.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

power switch

Lance, you might want to take the old switch apart an look at the inside of it
      may have some dust or corroded contacts that could be cleaned up, and then put it back into use. eezlock

Comment

• ragswl4
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Winchester, Ca
        • C-Man 22114

Lance,

As Ezzlock said, I did that a number of times before I finally replaced the switch. Got the switch at grizzly.com. I think the shipping was more than the switch.

Problem with the original switch that I had was (I think) it was not making good contact and was arcing and burned the contacts. Once the contact are burned the arcing increases then they are more or less welded together and the switch doesn't work. Will almost always fail in the run position. Cleaned up, worked for a while, then same thing. PITA to clean the contacts.
        RAGS
        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
        sigpic

Comment

• sleddogg
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006
          • Reedsburg, WI
          • Ryobi BT3100 Italian blade

does anyone know of ryobi redesigning the switch or is the new one likely to fail also?

Comment

• LYU370
            Established Member
            • Mar 2005
            • Streamwood, IL.

I bet it'll fail as well. I got fed up with having to clean it over and over again and ordered the sears switch. Mounted on the left side for easier access. See: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=30083
            Andy

Comment

Working...