• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garymck
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007

Bt3100K still a good saw?

Hi,
    here in Australia the BT3100 started to be imported by the local Ryobi licensee about 6 months ago - even though from reading these forums it's no longer available in the US. here it's sold as the BT3100K and includes all the Ryobi accessories, router table, wheels, mitre slot, dust bag etc, that were extras in the US.

At Bunnings (sort of the Home Depot of Australia) they have it available as a special order for $899 aussie dollars (yeah we pay a lot more for some stuff here :-( but less for others :-)

There is a review at http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...obiBT3100K.htm

For a similar price it is possible to buy a table saw such as:
    http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/ind..._450_3080_3120

for not much more money.

The BT3100k seems like a nice saw, but here people disparage it without ever having seen one based on the really cheap Ryobi table saws.

Portability and compactness of the Ryobi is great, and this is important to me, but not at the expense of accuracy of cut.

I'd rate myself as an intermediate woodworker (speaker boxes, bookshelves that sort of stuff), but got a yen to do some nice stuff for the house. I am on a really strict budget, and can't afford to make a huge mistake here.

I guess I'm asking if the Bt3100k is still a good device to buy, especially when compared to some of the saws it competes against here like the one above.

cheers
    Gary
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Gary, in Austraila you have one of the better sources of dustless woodworking, in this group. Member Rod Kirby.
    (you'll understand the dustless reference, the longer you stick around)

He started out with the BT3000 and in 05 purchased the saw your looking at I believe (your link is bad, it requires us to choose a location, doesn't take one to saw model). You don't mention where you are at, but I would contact him and see how close you are together.
    Some Links
    http://www.bt3central.com/member.php?u=31
    http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=29547
    http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=11020
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

Their 10" 3 hp model MJ2325B looks like a better deal to me.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Gary,
        $899 Aussie equates to about $740 USD

While I think the BT3x is a great saw value for $240-300, the last selling prices, I would be hard pressed to say it was worth over $700 USD even with the accessory kit items.

It does have a lot of great attributes, especially for the low price point. However, as pointed out earlier in this thread, longtime BT3 user in Melbourne, Rod Kirby, replaced his BT3000 with a Chinese made saw from Carbatec, a Mao Shan, I think, for around the same price, that he was very happy with.

The saw is very accurate, I would recommend it for making toys and small items. Could be that weight and portability are very important to you in which case this might be your saw. Otherwise, induction motor and cast iron, if that is what you need, then the other saw mentioned might be better.

I would be happy to send you my BT3 FAQ, you can evaluate its "issues" and strengths, if you send me your e-mail by PM.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-31-2007, 10:29 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

I have to agree with Ken. The saw he mentioned seems to be much more saw for the money, especially with the cast iron wings. Only thing that struck me as odd is the 1" arbor. Are 10" blades readily available with the arbor size? Of course I have no first hand knowledge of that particular saw.

There is no doubt in my mind that the BT3100 is a great saw. I started with that saw and had it for two years (still have it) but moved up to a larger saw just recently (sorta like the saw Ken spoke of). I guess you might want to think long term and see if in the future you might move to a larger saw as I did.
          RAGS
          Raggy and Me in San Felipe
          sigpic

Comment

• gwyneth
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Bayfield Co., WI

I'm on my third (it's not that they've worn out, I just keep leaving them around the country). The potential for accuracy is very good.

I think the purchase decision for it over something 'beefier', as the tool mags say, would come down to: size and permanency of your work space; and how much you like sliding tables.

If you've got the space, on a permanent basis, for that money (at least here, and of course with the elastic nature of tool budgets 'that money' means up to a few hundred more) I'd go for a Jet or DeWalt with sliding table.

If you're a renter or live in a tiny cottage with very limited room, the BT would rule.

But accuracy, IMO, is the one thing I wouldn't worry about with the BTs, provided you understand that it is under your control, which may mean some strict setup procedures.

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

As LinuxRandal pointed out, Rod Kirby is one of the few of us who's owned both of those saws and will hopefully offer some insights. You might try sending him a PM or making a separate post that includes his name.

This link has some great photos of Rod's Carbatech setup.
              http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=15845
              Last edited by Knottscott; 05-31-2007, 01:46 PM.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ragswl4
                I have to agree with Ken. The saw he mentioned seems to be much more saw for the money, especially with the cast iron wings. Only thing that struck me as odd is the 1" arbor. Are 10" blades readily available with the arbor size? Of course I have no first hand knowledge of that particular saw.

i think that's a common arbor size in the UK
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jackellis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

I've just purchased a Jet cabinet saw because I wanted something a bit beefier, but I'm not at all unhappy with my BT3100. However it's not worth the equivalent of $750 US, even in Australia (where I believe much of the price difference is import duties and taxes). My new Jet cabinet saw, which comes highly recommended, was about $1250 on Amazon.

Comment

• RodKirby
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I have PM'd garymck.

In Oz, the BT3100K is WAY overpriced There are a whole bunch of "better" alternatives for around the same price.

For example: NOTE the SMT and left tilt (best buy I ever made )

Last edited by RodKirby; 12-06-2008, 04:18 PM.
                    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• garymck
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Mar 2007

Hi guys,

thanks for all the replies. Rod pm'd me and I have replied with my phone number. Luckily we both seem to be in Melbourne, so contact should be easy!

cheers
                      gary

Comment

• gwyneth
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Bayfield Co., WI

Just don't look at his shop if you're the type who gets discouraged easily...

On the other hand, perhaps you can discover the answer to a question many here have wondered about: where his real shop is, not just the showcase shop.

Seriously, probably a lot of us are jealous that you may get to see Shop Nirvana.

Comment

• RodKirby
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Gary will be visiting me next week (he will be sworn to secrecy!)

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Liberty, SC, USA.
                            • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by RodKirby
                            Gary will be visiting me next week (he will be sworn to secrecy!)
                            Rod,
                            As always, No Pics---Didn't happen

Comment

• RodKirby
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Pics to come - I promise...

Comment

Working...