Stripped Motor Bracket Threads (Blade Elevation Problem)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbeskow
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007
    • Elk Mound, WI
    • BT3000

Stripped Motor Bracket Threads (Blade Elevation Problem)

I recently developed a stripped blade elevation lug on the motor bracket of my BT3000. I have not spent much time on this website or forum until just a few days ago. Before looking through these forums I ordered a new elevation shaft (the threads on mine appeared to be worn down a bit) and motor bracket from L and M at what I thought were very reasonable prices ($8 and $20 respectively). After the parts arrived, I began the disassembly. This step in the process could have gone much smoother if I had spent more time on this website learning from others! Regardless, I was able to remove the motor exposing the stripped lug. I then removed the motor bracket from the motor. At this point I came to the realization that the motor bracket off of my saw was different than the one I had purchased. I began scouring the Ryobi parts website, L and M's website, and any other sources I could find to determine if I could get the correct motor bracket. To the best of my ability, it appears as though the only bracket sold is the one I purchased. Does anyone know if this is true? I’ve looked throughout this site and it seems the readily accepted fix for this is a Helicoil, or threaded insert fix. Is this the only fix? The cheapest I’ve found a repair kit for has been $90. That’s not my idea of a cheap fix.

Also, I managed to damage one of the bearings during disassembly so I need to replace that one, but should I replace other bearings as well?

What about the belts? Mine appear to be in good shape, but should I replace them also just because I can right now?

I've read on different threads about 'the shim fix'. Is this also something that I should undertake at this time? I haven’t had problems with my shims falling out, but it might be a nice precaution.

What else should I do while my saw is stripped down to the bone?

I am not sure how old the saw is (how can I tell?), but it has served me very well and I look forward to many more years of quality service. I’d like to do as much as I can (within reason) to get the longevity out of the saw that I’m expecting. Any help you folks can be is greatly appreciated.

Greg
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

The threaded shaft is steel and the motor housing which accepts the shaft is aluminum so the aluminum always wears out first. In the future, you need to keep it lubricated.

Most of your questions are addressed in my BT3 FAQ, including the one on how to tell the manufacture date on the saw.
    Give me your e-mail address (by private mail here) and I can send it to you.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-31-2007, 12:35 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...