• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • padboy
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2005
    • Roscommon, Michigan, USA.

Stop Block

You've just ruined my day, Larry G! I hope you're happy! <G> Anyway, Gwyneth's out of the box thinking bears further experimentation. I'll post what ever I come up with.

Comment

• gwyneth
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Bayfield Co., WI

Update: I have since added a fourth piece to the setup, putting the otherwise-orphaned washer between the knob and bracket (don't know if it makes a difference in function but at least all four parts are together, and thus less likely to be inadvertently separated).

Comment

• smorris
        • Apr 2003
        • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Ahhh, finally a use for those parts which have been gathering dust. I knew one day they would have a use.
        --
        Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• sparkeyjames
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Redford MI.
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by LarryG
          While these router fence halves would make excellent stop blocks for the miter and rip fences, I'm less sure they're suitable as a sacrificial fence stand-in for use with a dado set. They're too short in length to provide adequate indexing surface for anything but the smallest workpiece. The gap between them at the blade would completely interrupt the indexing surface, too. Even if the two sections were very precisely aligned, it'd still be all too easy to catch the workpiece on the front edge of the outfeed fence half, as sometimes happens on a router table where the fence gap is generally much smaller.

Nothing in the play it by ear manual says that you cannot replace the wood on the router fence bracket with a single longer taller piece. With this mod and gwyneth's mod you would a have completely adjustable sacrifitial fence and an smt stop block. I myself love modifying a tool to make it perform better or do more. This is a perfect example.

sparkejames
          Last edited by sparkeyjames; 05-13-2007, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• Hoakie
            Established Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Iowa
            • Craftsman 21829

I've been using this as a stop block for the SMT. easy on easy off

http://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-59200CD-.../dp/B000051WSG
            John
            To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• gwyneth
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by Hoakie
              I've been using this as a stop block for the SMT. easy on easy off
              Actually, the PFKARRF (part formerly known as right router fence) stopblock came about as a direct result of trying to use a clamp.

The PFKARRF stopblock offered several advantages: a flat, square surface both against the SMT and the workpiece; easy adjustment; and less potential movement.

Neither the clamp nor the PFKARRF stopblock has the one feature that would be nice, a flip-up or other device to leave the block in place while trimming a piece prior to positioning against the stop block.

Sparkey's most recent comment prompted me to look closely at the PFKARRF. The wood is attached to the metal bracket with two screws so there's potential to take it off, cut it and attach a vertical hinge between the two pieces of wood. Or some other idea that would allow alternate non-use and use.

Comment

Working...