• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

Temporary 21829 stopblock

Last night, I was looking around for stuff to make a stop block for crosscutting.

It's going to be a while (if ever) before I set up the routing stuff that comes with the 21829. So I put half of the router fence to work.

I slid one of the black square nuts in the router stuff box into the miter fence. It receives one of the handles. The combo slides and tightens very well.

The three pieces can go back to their real purpose at any time, of course, because I didn't have to do anything to them.
    Attached Files
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

clever use of existing stuff. It never ocurred to me.

P.S. The rip fence is the same extrusion as the miter fence. That setup on the blade side of the rip fence will also make a fine longer stop for cutting items on the miter fence/SMT. The block before the blade prevents the possibility of kickback since the workpiece won't be against the fence when it goes past the blade.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-08-2007, 04:20 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jhgrady
      Established Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Alexandria, Va, USA.

Hi

Nicely done!

John

Comment

• sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

You know that same setup could be used on the rip fence for doing dado's. Finally some useful purpose for those
        horrible router fence parts.

sparkeyjames

Comment

• big tim
          • Mar 2006
          • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
          • SawStop PCS

Darn good idea!

Tim
          Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• gwyneth
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
            Finally some useful purpose for thosehorrible router fence parts.
            Let's be fair--it's the router fence that they're supposed to assemble into that's awful, not most of the parts.

About six or seven years ago, I bought a strange "jig kit" (don't remember what its official name was) direct from Ryobi for my BT3000, and for twenty five or thirty bucks(!) it contained almost the same selection of nuts, handles, and screws.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Great idea. I have the stop block kit and have never been real impressed with it.

Loring's idea was good, too. Might be a bit harder to put on and remove but it would provide a solid stop block.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Redford MI.
                • Craftsman 21829

Ok let me rephrase that ....

Finally some useful purpose for that horrible router fence's parts.

subtle.

sparkeyjames.

Comment

• gwyneth
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by Pappy
                  Great idea. I have the stop block kit and have never been real impressed with it.

Loring's idea was good, too. Might be a bit harder to put on and remove but it would provide a solid stop block.
                  Wouldn't it be just as easy, given that it's the same extrusion? Unless you mean that the nut wouldn't have an open end to go into.

(I've re-looked at the horrible instructions for the horrible router fence and the router fence sections appear to attach to the saw fence.)

Also, I was looking at stop block threads of the past and somebody was using one on his fence that was exactly an inch thick. I went and measured the part formerly known as 'right router fence' and it appears to be...exactly an inch thick.

So with Loren's idea, I could use the part formerly known as 'left router fence' because it would be the 'face side' that would be doing the work, not the 'end side' as in the SMT fence stop block. Very cool, very little work.

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

Gosh, I've had those fence-y things for years and it never occured to me to use them in this way.

Good thing I didn't throw them out when I built my router fence!

JR
                    JR

Comment

• timb
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2007
                      • Northern CA, USA
                      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
                      You know that same setup could be used on the rip fence for doing dado's. Finally some useful purpose for those
                      horrible router fence parts.

sparkeyjames
                      While I get the stop block idea - definately a useful piece of wisdom. Thanks Gwyneth - I am at a bit of a loss as to how mounting these on the rip fence helps with dados. Please enlighten.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                        • BT3100

nice idea!

neat thinking! never would have thought about it. i have clamped wood to the fence trying to accomplish the same thing. i will now be using this instead.

Comment

• gwyneth
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by JR
                          Gosh, I've had those fence-y things for years and it never occured to me to use them in this way.

Good thing I didn't throw them out when I built my router fence!
                          The key to the thing working was the black nut that slides in the miter fence (and of course the handle and the bracket slot on the part formerly known as "half a horrible router fence".)

But the real key is the modularity of the whole system, so that the nut would work in places besides its ended location. The reason we keep loving the Ryobi/"Craftsman".

PS-Sparkey, what I meant was that if the parts can be reincarnated into more useful applications than their original use, they aren't horrible, no matter how dreadful the original use is.
                          Last edited by gwyneth; 05-09-2007, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Zip1
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Milwaukee, WI, USA.

timb,

I might be interpreting this wrong but it may have been better to state that mounting these on the rip fence helps with rabbets using a stacked dado.

The router fence pieces could be used along the rip fence on either side of the dado blade to perform the same function as a sacrificial fence.

... another excellent idea. Thanks to all

Comment

• LarryG
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2004
                              • Off The Back
                              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

While these router fence halves would make excellent stop blocks for the miter and rip fences, I'm less sure they're suitable as a sacrificial fence stand-in for use with a dado set. They're too short in length to provide adequate indexing surface for anything but the smallest workpiece. The gap between them at the blade would completely interrupt the indexing surface, too. Even if the two sections were very precisely aligned, it'd still be all too easy to catch the workpiece on the front edge of the outfeed fence half, as sometimes happens on a router table where the fence gap is generally much smaller.
                              Larry

Comment

Working...