This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fltlnder

BT 3100 V Belts

Need help! Have spent frustrating afternoon trying to install new V Belts on my saw. Any hints or tips?

fltlnder
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...t-instructions
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Fltlnder

Walking off v-belts?

Thanks for the reference to the article on shims and v belts. It was little use however since there is much more involved in installing these v bellts than simply "walking" them on. Got a video of this procedure?

Comment

• big tim
        • Mar 2006
        • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
        • SawStop PCS

It's a tedious and frustrating job, but I can't think of any other way then "walking " them on. Push against the belt with your finger and at the same time rotate the pulley with your other hand. You have to do that alternately on the left side of the belt (facing the belt and pulleys from the left side of the saw) to get the belt to walk one groove onto the upper (arbor shaft) pulley and then push on the right side of the belt to get the belt to walk one groove onto the lower (motor) pulley. Rotating the pulley in a clockwise direction. I had to replace the arbor bearings not too long ago and that's how I got the belts back on. Tough job indeed though. I wrote an article on the whole procedure, which you can find in the articles section of the forum.
        http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=29035

Tim
        Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I took a piece of 3/4" pvc conduit and cut it about 1" long down the middle lengthwise. Then I cross cut one of those pieces off so I created a sort of spoon. I used that to stretch the belt onto the pulley and then used it to walk the belt on.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Fltlnder

Right Part?

Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated. I have realized that my new belts, although appearing the same, have different part numbers. Hmmmm..... Nothing further until I can talk to my dealer tomorrow! Will keep you posted about success (or failure).

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Fltlnder
              Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated. I have realized that my new belts, although appearing the same, have different part numbers. Hmmmm..... Nothing further until I can talk to my dealer tomorrow! Will keep you posted about success (or failure).

If they appear the same, they probably are. The belts are a custom job, unique from Ryobi, and I recall nothing in my years of participation here and at the Ryobi forums that ever indicated they changed the belts on the BT3-series saws. Though the motor has gone through a few revisions the pulleys and drive train have not.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Fltlnder

Absolutely right!

No change in the belts but was hoping! I started this process with patience and ended up totally frustrated. Two of us spent about 4 hours trying to coax the belts.....It is at the dealers now. I wonder how many other saws possess drive mechanisms that the owner is not expected to be able to replace?

Comment

Working...