This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mshubb

Craftsman 21289 router attachment

Pardon me if I mess this up but I am a first time user.
    I have 21829 and am having trouble figuring out how to mount my new Dewalt 618 router. The holes don't match up in any way. Am I missing something?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by mshubb
    Pardon me if I mess this up but I am a first time user.
    I have 21829 and am having trouble figuring out how to mount my new Dewalt 618 router. The holes don't match up in any way. Am I missing something?
    The router hole pattern in the router table only matches certain Craftsman and Ryobi routers.

I think (but am not 100% sure) that the Dewalt uses the same pattern as the Porter Cable and Bosch routers.

The Dewalt is a fine router and I would surely recommend NOT returning it and getting a craftsman router. That would be a step down.

The 21829 auxiliary table is different from the BT3xes - it does not have an adapter plate. So I'm talking a little bit without complete knowledge at this point. - I think what you have to do is take the plastic suffplate off the router, use it as a template for marking holes in the 21829 table, and then mounting it with some appropriate sized flat head screws.
    The table is aluminum and should drill quite easily. Use a centerpunch to put a dimple in the table and use a sharp bit, medium slow drill speed and it will drill like butter.
    you should have long curly strips coming off when you drill if your bit is sharp. A bunch of chips means its not sharp.

Use a counter sink bit or a larger bit to deburr the holes.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

LCHIEN hit it right on the head.

It took me a while to warm up to the notion of drilling or cutting my tools. Sometimes you gotta do that sort of thing, though.

You've got two tools that will work together. You've got to take charge and show em who's boss.

JR
      JR

Comment

• mshubb

Thanks. I'll let you know how I do. I'm a weekend warrior and have a bunch of 'honey-do' chores.

Comment

Working...