• Show
Clear All
  • Hoakie
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Iowa
    • Craftsman 21829

Screwing down thoat plate. Thoughts?

After watching several vids of other WW'ers and various saws, I have noticed a lot of them use ZCTP's that are not attached like the BT3x. So my question is... Is it alright/safe to leave the screws out, or are the others designed (oval shape and thickness) to do this?

Thanks in advance
    John
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

On my Darkside saw the ZCTP (bought as a "blank") has a center pin at the rear which hooks under the rear edge of the throat plate recess - that's the only thing which holds it down!

Which makes sense - you don't want the "upcoming" saw teeth at the rear to lift the throat plate. The "downgoing" teeth at the front are not a problem.

The ZCTP is MUCH thicker/heavier than the BT3x throat plates and is made of phenolic and the saw table recess provides excellent support all around.

The 3 (of 4), small holes you can see have grub screws for levelling the plate. The large hole is so you can lift it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZCTP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	781016

The OEM (metal) plate DOES have a single screw at the front - still with a center pin at the back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tplate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	781017
    Last edited by RodKirby; 04-22-2007, 10:46 PM.
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Hoakie
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Iowa
      • Craftsman 21829

Thanks Rod, I figured there was something else to hold it down, just was checking.
      John
      To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

Working...