• Show
Clear All
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by reddog552
    Do the bolts 'dig' into the inner surface of the T-slot on the rails?

Yes the bolts [dig in] I am not to worried about this since I will not be disassembling it again this is a moot point. Here is the damage done. Excuse the poor quality pictures PC camera.
    I wouldn't be concerned so much about the gouge marks the bolts make. But, I wonder if the extrusion could get deformed from the forces applied by this connector design.

Unless I'm missing something (not at all uncommon!), it appears that the bolt exerts pressure on the wall of the extrusion, causing the fabricated bar to push out on the capturing portions of the extrusion.

By comparison, the connectors that come with the wide table kit are made to pinch the capturing portions of the extrusion.

Of course, this new design could be made to act more like an elongated, multiple-bolt t-nut, like Steve pointed out, and then it would hold by pinching.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• axa
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Tom Miller
      I wouldn't be concerned so much about the gouge marks the bolts make. But, I wonder if the extrusion could get deformed from the forces applied by this connector design.

Unless I'm missing something (not at all uncommon!), it appears that the bolt exerts pressure on the wall of the extrusion, causing the fabricated bar to push out on the capturing portions of the extrusion.

By comparison, the connectors that come with the wide table kit are made to pinch the capturing portions of the extrusion.

Of course, this new design could be made to act more like an elongated, multiple-bolt t-nut, like Steve pointed out, and then it would hold by pinching.
      My set up gives me the feeling that I will either drive the set screw through the rail, or strip the threading in the bars before I deform the capturing portion you speak of.
      Of coarse Ive never tried this, but these are bars which spread out the force rather than a single point.

The vertical force and horizontal is sound, but what you may be concerned about is the other axis, the ability for the rails to shake loose of these bars.

Its my opinion they wont, but I notice my extension table hardware is helping support this aswell. Well i guess it depends on the details of your set up.

Comment

• tedkitch
        • Jul 2006
        • NE Suburbs, Chicago
        • Ryobi BT3100 What else is there?

I would be interested in a set of these if the price was right.
        Ted Kitch

Comment

• Garasaki
          • Sep 2006

Have either of you guys decided if you will offer these for sale and what the price might be?
          -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
          -Henry Blake

Comment

• reddog552
            Established Member
            • Dec 2006
            • Belleville Il.
            • Bt3000

Rail extensions

I have been talking to the machinist at a fab plant. They are pretty bizzy, We have been talking about a 1 hole nut made from Al. The nuts will fit in the 1" T slots, the sholder will not protrude making them usable im the Rails & fence top, I was thinking 1 1/4" in lenth better stability.Also someone asked about a hinge set up from T-nuts I looked for them cant find them.Any info on them will be app. On the price and avalibility I try to get that together. Im unable too rush it Witch suks
            The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• steve-norrell
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • The Great Land - Alaska
              • BT3100-1

The hinge set was purchased from T-Nuts in May of 2006. They were listed as "Folding Wide Table Hinge Set" then, but I can't find them now. I guess they are not available any longer.

The hinge in the attached photo is on the rear rail and is held in place with appropiately sized t-nuts. It also shows the steel bar which is used to lock the joint (along with four of the smallest t-nuts). A similar arrangment is used for the front rail.

To fold down the rail all that is necessary is to loosen the hex head bolts and slide the steel bar into the main rail. The outer rail then lowers to free up some floor space or for storage. Of course, any goodies (SMT, etc) on the outer rail are removed.

Regards, SN
              Last edited by steve-norrell; 11-30-2008, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• reddog552
                Established Member
                • Dec 2006
                • Belleville Il.
                • Bt3000

Table rail extentions

Ok heres the poop I just got off the phone with a machinest. I can get the rails made for $8 a piece X 4 $32. Material is approxmitly $4.00 with out hardware, I think you can come up with 1/4" 20x 1/2" bolts. Im thinking $45.00 a set including shipping. He also told me he could go a little cheaper if I can get enough orders. Also he can make Ill call them [slot nuts] 1 1/4" with 1/4" 20 threads out of Al. think they will be $3.00 a piece. Now is any one Interested.Thanks for the input
                The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

Working...