• Show
Clear All
  • reddog552
    Established Member
    • Dec 2006
    • Belleville Il.
    • Bt3000

BT rail extensions

I had these made for me any comments. I am looking to produce these would like to get responces from this fourm.
    Last edited by reddog552; 07-04-2007, 07:08 AM.
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Looks good -
    At any given moment the demand is low and with the demise of the saw ultimately demand will be falling, but there is a slow demand.

Depends on how much you will charge for a set (four pieces required), much over $20 I imagine will not sell well at all.

Not the kind of thing I'd quit my day job for.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• timb
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2007
      • Northern CA, USA
      • Craftsman 21829

Look nice but you have quite a lot of competition for this as a part for sale

1. Stock parts are available
      2. Not too hard to make it yourself
      3. There is at least one other maker of something similar

On the other hand Sears is not selling the rail extensions as standard accessory for the 218290 - the only way the saw is sold currently - so there could be a trickle of takers going forward if you can keep the price down.

So not a money maker but if you want to make it available to others just because, that's great.

Tim

Comment

• Garasaki
        • Sep 2006

Those look nice.

Like others have said, there is pretty much 0 chance you'll make money on these.

However, if you are really cool and want to provide those of us here at the forums with those for really cheap, that'd be awesome! I'd be first in line
        -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
        -Henry Blake

Comment

• os1kne
          • Jan 2003
          • Atlanta, GA
          • BT3100

It looks good, but it's tough to make much of a profit from making a relatively simple accessory for a table saw when your target market is people that tend to be fairly handly (unless producing the accessory requires a special skill that is a barrier for most people to try to do themselves- like the SharkGuard). T-nuts and angle are tough to compete with.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but no matter how slick something is - there still needs to be several people willing to pay $ in order to make the deal worth doing.

Good luck!
          Bill

Comment

• axa
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2007

I machined the same kind of 'T-Bar' I call it, for my table.

If you machine carefully, about 1.030 mill for the major, and 0.790 for the minor, you will find that you get vertical support from both the inner and outer lips, across the entire length of the bar.

These other extraordinary priced kits available for sale, rely on support only from the combination of the arches of the 2 T-Nut inner circles, for each side of the rail.

I run a solid 12" tool steel T bar, and found any more than that is overkill, because sag comes not from the rails, but from the load on the thin aluminum saw housing itself.

I notice your bars are aluminum, easy to machine, but you might find your machinist can get various steels much cheaper, and steel is more rigid. But even a longer bar of aluminum will support better then the strongest shorter steel due to the distance between the pivot points.

Anyway, I considered that I could make a decent profit selling a better product at less a cost of what is available. I already have material and tooling, but what I don't have is the time.

I agree the demand is questionable, but yours kit is far better than what is available. Now whats your price...

Comment

• reddog552
              Established Member
              • Dec 2006
              • Belleville Il.
              • Bt3000

Bt rail extentions

Thanks for the Input Guys As for selling these didnt expect mutch. I had these made fore me [to cheap to buy a set] I still need to see what they would cost to make. I have axcess to a cnc mill,all the aluminum I could ever need,stainless hardware out the butt. As i said just checking if some of the fourm members might be interested in a set. These were made as a favor,they work realy well as they are pretty tight,requires a little gental tapping to get into place.Again thanks for the help Ill get the info on cost and get back to ya
              The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by reddog552
                I have axcess to a cnc mill,all the aluminum I could ever need,stainless hardware out the butt....
                Don't be a stranger....

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

• steve-norrell
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • The Great Land - Alaska
                  • BT3100-1

I had these made for me any comments. I am looking to produce these would like to get responces from this fourm.
                  Nice metal work. Should provide a considerable amount of rigidity to any joint. Questions:

How do you keep the T-bars in place?

Is there a piece that is used on the outside of the T-slots? Another bar? Large washer?

Do the bolts 'dig' into the inner surface of the T-slot on the rails?

Could the devices be machined with just enough clearance so that they could be used conveniently with the rail hinges available from T-Nuts.com? For example, if they could be slid into one side or the other, the rail could be folded down using the hinges.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• greencat
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Grand Haven Mi

Thanks for the Input Guys As for selling these didnt expect mutch. I had these made fore me [to cheap to buy a set] I still need to see what they would cost to make. I have axcess to a cnc mill,all the aluminum I could ever need,stainless hardware out the butt. As i said just checking if some of the fourm members might be interested in a set. These were made as a favor,they work realy well as they are pretty tight,requires a little gental tapping to get into place.Again thanks for the help Ill get the info on cost and get back to ya
                    I would be interested if the price was right.
                    Thanks again,
                    Mike

Comment

• Garasaki
                      • Sep 2006

I'm definately interested too.
                      -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                      -Henry Blake

Comment

• BT3 WOODOG
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2007

Yea,Me three!!!

Comment

• reddog552
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2006
                          • Belleville Il.
                          • Bt3000

Rail extentions

Yes the bolts [dig in] I am not to worried about this since I will not be disassembling it again this is a moot point. Here is the damage done. Excuse the poor quality pictures PC camera.
                          Last edited by reddog552; 07-04-2007, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• axa
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Mar 2007

Yes the bolts [dig in] I am not to worried about this since I will not be disassembling it again this is a moot point. Here is the damage done. Excuse the poor quality pictures PC camera.

I imagine people are concerned with this purely for aesthetics reasons.

This is a much more simple system to keep the bar in place, rather than relying on 2 separate pieces squeezing together.

What I did on mine was to round off the ends of the bolts, so the threading doesn't leave that mark.

Comment

• steve-norrell
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • The Great Land - Alaska
                              • BT3100-1

Thanks for the feedback.

These devices would, indeed, make for a very strong, stable, permanent attachment.

A person who wanted some flexiblity could use a 1-inch piece of steel (on the outside of the rails) by drilling four appropriately located holes. The 't-bars' would have to be machined slightly undersized so that they slid along the t-slots.

I want to be able to fold down the rails on occasion and would be interested in the bars if they could slide through their slots.

Regards, Steve

Comment

Working...