• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caseyd
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2007

Deal? Used BT3000 for $200

Hi there,

I'm something of a speaker builder, and I recently moved to a new city out of college, so I'm pretty much toolless. I'm looking into table saws, and I recently found a used BT3000 for sale locally on craigslist. The guy is asking for $200, and says the saw is in "great" condition.

At the same time I could go for a RIDGID 2400LS at HD, which is something like 75 bucks off this week, for a total of 375. I'm just wondering if anyone had some good insight into whether or not this used saw would be a good way to go at its price. It seems like it could be rather old, as I've seen at least one person mention it back in 1993.

Just want some opinions on whether this is a good option, or if I should bit the bullet and go for a new/warrantied saw.
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Here's a link for you. http://www.bt3central.com/articles/a...ous%20Articles There is a ton of information there, including what to look for in a used BT3*, and how to identify the date of the particular saw. I'll leave the rest up to you. Welcome aboard.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• axa
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2007

technically, even the BT3100 is already discontinued. Though One World Industries, maker of the saw (same maker as ridgid i believe) is still producing it in China for Sears

IMO its a bit much for such an old saw no matter how it 'looks'.
      not trying to gloat, but i picked up the bt3100 a just over year ago when HD discontinued the line, it was $199 on sale with a $50 rebate, and a few coupons later, I payed barely 100 bucks new...

Also I dont know where you are, but here in the NY area, occasionally see a 3100 going for less than that anyway.

its a very good saw. but if your buying for the long haul, or can imagine doing more serious work, dont need portability and have the room, the craftsman or ridgid contractor saws start just under 500 on sale.
      I wish I went that way, even with limited funds.

Comment

• kwok cheng
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2007
        • california
        • Ryobi BT3000

Not worth it at all $200 for such an old saw. I bought one at $50 not too long ago. Unfortunately I didn't look close enough and found problem in the blade height adjustment. After putting in some missing parts, the total cost is close to $100 and I have not cut a piece of wood yet. The jet saw is $199 at amazon, which saw seems to have good review. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...5826095&sr=8-7

Comment

• Gary L
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2007
          • Forestburgh, NY
          • BT 3000 and Porter Cable

Welcome Caseyd. I too use my saw for building speakers and find it is a very competent machine for this type of light duty work.
          We basically cut plywood, MDF and particle board and on rare occassions rip a pine or poplar 5/4 board.
          What I find great about the BT 3XXX is it's light weight and versatility with all the attachments and contraptions that are available.
          Mine has the extended tables both to the right of the blade with the extention rails and to the rear for off feed of large panels.
          I made a nice table and installed a woodpecker router lift and PC 890 router for doing dados and rabbits.
          I can actually build every part of an audio speaker on this saw and with minimal blade changes.

As for the price, I do agree it is a bit high unless there is some additional gear with it. I bought my BT 3000 5 years ago, new, at Lowes and paid $225.
          I also bought the extension rails, legs and some other stuff at the same time and at reduced prices. Might have a total of $300 in all of it and have more invested in the router and lift then the entire saw cost me.

Parts could be a problem in the near future and like many of these newer tools, it is usually cheaper to replace the entire tool then to buy a new motor for the one you have.
          Thats a sad commentary we need not go into but I just had the pump on my Kartcher preasure washer go. New one was $160+ S&H. Was in Sam's club and they had Kartcher Preasure washers with higher PSI and Honda engine for $179. Guess you know what I did.

I think these days to get into tools that are worth repairing you have to start in the range of a couple thousand dollars and it will take alot of speakers to make that a good investment.

Gary

Comment

• timb
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2007
            • Northern CA, USA
            • Craftsman 21829

Could be a good deal if it comes with a good set of accessories like the folding outfeed table, wide table kit, router kit, long miter/rip fence etc. and really is in good condition (make sure it has all its standard parts, and don't forget to ask for the manual and the set of adjustment tools ( blade wrenches and 4 hex keys). The add on accessories are what make the BT attractive. With a comprehensive set you could almost certainly make your money back parting it out if you wanted to upgrade at some point in the next few years.

Also you may be able to talk them down $50 or so. It it's just the basic saw and you're convinced it is in good condition and has all its parts, offer them $100 (or less) and walk away leaving your number if they say no.

The question to ask yourself is whether, if it needs it, you would enjoy fixing it up. If the answer is no then definately go for a new saw. That applies even if they only wanted $50. If you won't enjoy the process whatever it brings don't invest in it.

Tim

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

It's a deal if it is the cheapest good table saw that you can find, and it's in great shape. I purchased a 3100 for my Dad, new in box, from HD for 150$, so it just depends upon what you can find.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by caseyd
                Hi there,

I'm something of a speaker builder, and I recently moved to a new city out of college, so I'm pretty much toolless. I'm looking into table saws, and I recently found a used BT3000 for sale locally on craigslist. The guy is asking for $200, and says the saw is in "great" condition.

At the same time I could go for a RIDGID 2400LS at HD, which is something like 75 bucks off this week, for a total of 375. I'm just wondering if anyone had some good insight into whether or not this used saw would be a good way to go at its price. It seems like it could be rather old, as I've seen at least one person mention it back in 1993.

Just want some opinions on whether this is a good option, or if I should bit the bullet and go for a new/warrantied saw.

the old BT3000 have a 4-digit date code on the stamped serial number manufacturer's plate. A number like 9913 would be the 13th week of 1999 so its easy to tell the age of BT3000. The really old ones from 1992-1993 have some issues (like defective switches and lower power motors) and probably should be avoided but the later ones are by and large, OK.

You can read my BT3 FAQ (see my sig line below) for a LOT of information on BT3's of all ages.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• caseyd
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Apr 2007

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Ya, I'm thinking I might go for the 2400LS, or just wait online until I find a better used deal. Either way tomorrow is the last day for $75 off at HD, so we'll see.

Comment

• DLHarrison
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2006
                    • Avon, Indiana, USA.

I sold my BT3100 and picked up a Ridgid 2400. I mounted the saw on a Ryobi saw stand and sold the portable saw stand that the Ridgid came with. I then mounted the saw stand on a mobile base for use in my shop. I then constructed a folding outfeed table. I considered purchasing the Ryobi fold down table but it was way too expensive. I feel that the Ridgid portable saw is better than the Bosch offering. I couldn't be happier with the saw.

I wish that I purchased the Ridgid saw originally but was swayed by the price of the BT3100. I sold an old Craftsman table saw (with a cast iron table) to purchase the saw (I should have kept the Craftsman saw). The BT3100 has a lot of nice features but long term durability (plastic, motor and aluminum) is questionable and tendency for the introduction of errors was too great for me. All one has to do is look at the posts on this website for comments regarding motor burnout, belt replacement, saw set up, inaccurate saw cuts, etc. With the Ridgid saw, like my old Craftsman, once you set the saw up, you are set.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Wellsir, the question you need to be asking is if the used BT3K saw is the one you want. If the price point is the only reason you are considering this saw you might look elsewhere. IMNSHO the used saw if in reasonable shape is a fair deal at that price. In fact the other one posted on CL is also a fair deal! That's right folks I think that the Ryobi saw is worth more than most have paid for theirs new. When I bought mine it was $429 IIRC, did not come with anything other than the metal stand, no user's kit as was later offered. It was a bargin then and still is. The innovative features of this saw are worth many dollars more and would cost much more to add to an equal saw of other manufacture.

Once a user truely understands the Ryobi saw and learns to adjust it and treats it like the precision tool that it is; it gives years and years of trouble free use. All things mechanical break at some point. To fairly judge the BT3K look to those that have since upgraded after years of using one. Most of these members have purchased cabinet saws as a replacement for their BT3K saws. I bought mine in '99 IIRC and it is still running strong and cutting beautifully today. Just yesterday I ripped some 10/4 maple!

So the question remains Casey; is the Ryobi the saw for you? Only you can answer that. Other members have given you plenty of links to information to help you make up your mind. Do your research. Call the seller of the BT3K and go look at it; after reading Jim Frye's article on buying a used one first though.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• sbs
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2005
                        • VA
                        • BT3.1k

Originally posted by DLHarrison
                        All one has to do is look at the posts on this website for comments regarding motor burnout, belt replacement, saw set up, inaccurate saw cuts, etc.
                        I was on a Lexus forum the other day and there were posts about how to change the spark plugs, timing belt, etc. They even had (gasp) wheel alignment specs. Those cars must be junk!

Comment

Working...