• Show
Clear All
  • lguay
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007
    • Corona del Mar, CA
    • BT3100

Long rails extension kit table top

I just received my long rails kit in the mail from MD Mower. I have a piece of MDF just about the right size 3/4 inches thick. Do any of you know if it is OK to use the MDF or should I get a piece of plywood as the instructions indicate? Thanks in advance for the help.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by lguay
    I just received my long rails kit in the mail from MD Mower. I have a piece of MDF just about the right size 3/4 inches thick. Do any of you know if it is OK to use the MDF or should I get a piece of plywood as the instructions indicate? Thanks in advance for the help.
    No reason MDF can't be used.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JSCOOK
      • Sep 2006
      • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

My experience over the years is that MDF typically will sag more over time than plywood will "if" not reinforced or additiona lsupported from underneath ... especially if you experience high humidity at some during the year ... YMMV
      "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Originally posted by JSCOOK
        My experience over the years is that MDF typically will sag more over time than plywood will "if" not reinforced or additiona lsupported from underneath ...
        Which is why they invented the Sagulator
        JR

Comment

• Gary L
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2007
          • Forestburgh, NY
          • BT 3000 and Porter Cable

I just set mine up and used the MDF as you plan to.

I sealed the MDF with two coats of lacquer, both sides and edges, and installed a support under neath and plan to further support, front to rear with a double thickness of 3/4" ply to support the router and lift.

I think this should suffice.

Gary

Comment

• lguay
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2007
            • Corona del Mar, CA
            • BT3100

Thank you for the help

Thank you all for the advice. I think I will use the MDF and support it as you all suggested. I love this site, it is a big help to me.

Comment

Working...