• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Bassett
    Established Member
    • May 2003
    • Shalimar, Florida, USA.

Bt3100

Got everything torn apart waiting for my belts to come in. A couple of questions.

1. It it normal for the Guide Holder (80) be really difficult to remove? Do you guys put a little something on the motor bearing surface to help ease it back in or is it really supposed to be a really a tough fit?

2. I have the saw bolted to a plywood base. Do I really need to put the Left/Right Covers back on? All they seem to do is trap all sorts of dust and spider webs. Would sure make maintenance and cleaning easier. Getting the RH cover off from around the power receptacle always gives me fits. Where is the article that shows a way to relocate the receptacle?

3. How do you get rid of spider webs if you can't kill spiders? At least that's what my Orkin man tells me.
    Bob Bassett from Northwest Florida
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

1. Yes it is normal. It is machined very closely.
    2. Appearances I guess. Maybe airflow for cooling around the motor but I don't think so. I do think having the covers on will keep more sawdust out of the gears though.
    3. Shop Vac.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Garasaki
      • Sep 2006

Regarding the side covers, I experimented a bit with them off while transfering my saw to a different base, and found that the side covers do provide some structural integrety to the assembly.

Without them, you just have the sheet metal front and back, which has quite a bit of flex. However, adding them in makes a sheet metal box which has much less "give" to it.
      -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
      -Henry Blake

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by Bob Bassett
        3. How do you get rid of spider webs if you can't kill spiders? At least that's what my Orkin man tells me.
        Get a second opinion! Bayer makes a product, a wetable powder actually, called Tempo that is an excellent spider killer. You spray it on all your walls and ceiling, let it dry and live spider free for a long time. This product is very safe and not very costly. http://www.bayerpmp.ca/tempo.html
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Bob Bassett
          Established Member
          • May 2003
          • Shalimar, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by Black wallnut
          Get a second opinion! Bayer makes a product, a wetable powder actually, called Tempo that is an excellent spider killer. You spray it on all your walls and ceiling, let it dry and live spider free for a long time. This product is very safe and not very costly. http://www.bayerpmp.ca/tempo.html
          Checked out the link and it looks like it would even kill the web worms I get in my grass. Does sound like a commercial product, though. Am I wrong, or is it available to the public?
          Last edited by Bob Bassett; 03-19-2007, 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling
          Bob Bassett from Northwest Florida

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

It is a general use pesticide so should be available for purchase by anyone. The only problem is the quanity you will have to buy. Last box I bought had 20 packets in it. I still have a bunch several years later. Since it is a wetable powder it really will not work very well outside as it could be washed off in a rain storm.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Even using the shroud and a shopvac you get a lot of dust fall out the bottom.
              i have a DC and I put a belly pan and 4" DC port in the bottom of the saw. So the sides help channel the air flow and dust to the belly pan and its wonderful clean (I still have suction on the dust port in the back.)
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jnam
                Forum Newbie
                • May 2006

I used a very small amount of machine oil...very small amount. It made the raising of the blade/motor mechanism much, much smoother. I expect to have to clean and lubricate that on a regular basis as it will prob get full of saw dust and gunk up. But for know it is working great.

Comment

• steve-norrell
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • The Great Land - Alaska
                  • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Jnam
                  I used a very small amount of machine oil...very small amount. It made the raising of the blade/motor mechanism much, much smoother. I expect to have to clean and lubricate that on a regular basis as it will prob get full of saw dust and gunk up. But for know it is working great.

Why not follow the recommendations elsewhere on this website to use a dry lube, even candle wax? Candle wax works very well and hardly holds any dust at all. Just lower the blade and rub the candle on the slides.

Regards, Steve

Comment

Working...