• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jbridge337
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • GA.

smt nut coming loose?

I keep getting play in the left front of my SMT. I will adjust everything then make a series of cuts both with SMT and rips without it. When using the SMT I am pushing the table with left hand and holding stock against SMT fence with right. At some point when I go to use SMT again I notice about 1/16" to 1/8" slop at left front only. Could vibrations be causing it to come out of adjustment? My first thought is to replace nut and star washer for that location only but wanted to know if anyone else has run into similar problem and what solution was.

Thanks,

Jim
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Jbridge337
    I keep getting play in the left front of my SMT. I will adjust everything then make a series of cuts both with SMT and rips without it. When using the SMT I am pushing the table with left hand and holding stock against SMT fence with right. At some point when I go to use SMT again I notice about 1/16" to 1/8" slop at left front only. Could vibrations be causing it to come out of adjustment? My first thought is to replace nut and star washer for that location only but wanted to know if anyone else has run into similar problem and what solution was.

Thanks,

Jim
    If its the nut I'm thinking of, its a special screw and nut.
    The screw is eccentric, which allows for positioning of the SMT against the SMT guide plate, by rotating the screw and holding it in place and tightening the nut. The nut is a nylon lock-nut which has a internal captive nylon insert that provides friction to keep the nut and bolt from coming loose or turning under vibration.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jbridge337
      Established Member
      • Nov 2004
      • GA.

Thanks, I understand the screw is different. I was going to try to replace the nylon inserted nut with a new nylon insert nut. Without removing anything yet, it also looks like there might be a star washer under the nut so I was going to replace that as well.

Any other thoughts as to what might be going on and why I am getting this slop in mid use?

Thanks,
      Jim
      Originally posted by LCHIEN
      If its the nut I'm thinking of, its a special screw and nut.
      The screw is eccentric, which allows for positioning of the SMT against the SMT guide plate, by rotating the screw and holding it in place and tightening the nut. The nut is a nylon lock-nut which has a internal captive nylon insert that provides friction to keep the nut and bolt from coming loose or turning under vibration.

Comment

Working...