• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Keeping BT3K debris from vac hose?

I keep the normal throat plate on the BT3K because I often cut bevels. But when I have thin cut-offs that are short enough, they tend to fall into the saw and get sucked into the vac hose. If they are just the right size, they will clog it up somewhere along the line.

I've thought of just getting some gutter screen and cutting a piece that will fit over the hose, but I think it may be a pain getting it to stay in place.

Anyone else have a creative solution to this?

Thanks,
    Phil
  • ChrisD
    • Dec 2004
    • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Yes, Phil: Get rid of the Cheerios!
    The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

IMHO if you are cutting small pieces you really should be using a ZCTP. If you do a lot of bevels it might be worthwhile to make some bevel ZCTPs.
      I think a screen would quickly become plugged plus the added danger of having to fish for your cutoff's. Not to mention that you might have to remove the TP to retrieve the cutoff anyway.

You could reduce the number of ZCTP you would need by perhaps making each bevel one 5° wide by starting at 0° to 5°, 6° to 10°, etc. That would reduce the number of TPs you would need to perhaps 10 or 12 depending on dado etc.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

how about this. If you are too lazy to change the throat plate, then lower the blade, put a piece of 2" wide masking tape across the entire length of the throat plate, then raise the spinning blade through the masking tape. (please turn off the saw while applying the masking tape!)

Now cut normally. The tape will sag a bit, maybe rub against the blade. It won't provide any real support for splintering and such but will catch any slivers. It's soft and will tear so any hanging or catching will not result in a kickback, I think.

This was just an off-the-cuff thought. I haven't tried it. If it seems at any point to be dangerous, stop, don't do it!

OTOH, if you are too lazy to do something you know you should do, that's a bad sign...
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-07-2007, 12:18 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          OTOH, if you are too lazy to do something you know you should do, that's a bad sign...
          Speechless.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
            • May 2003
            • Orlando, FL, USA.
            • BT3000

I like to use clear packing tape to cover the opening. It's thinner than masking tape and the workpiece doesn't catch on it. Loring's suggestion to raise the blade though the tape sounds like a good idea, but I just put one edge against the blade.

I keep the packing tape in the house, and masking tape in the garage/shop --- so I often use masking tape if I need to make a quick cut. They both do the job.

- Lonnie
            OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Lonnie in Orlando
              I like to use clear packing tape to cover the opening. It's thinner than masking tape and the workpiece doesn't catch on it. Loring's suggestion to raise the blade though the tape sounds like a good idea, but I just put one edge against the blade.

I keep the packing tape in the house, and masking tape in the garage/shop --- so I often use masking tape if I need to make a quick cut. They both do the job.

- Lonnie
              Yes, that should work just as well or better, and its faster & easier (no monkeying around with the blade height). And, its actually been done.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...