• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BizCoach
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2004
    • Milford, CT.

Small Shop Outfeed Solution

I've got a small shop so everything is on wheels. My BT3100 is on a mobile base that I like to keep pushed up against the wall. I don't need an outfeed table all the time so I want one that takes up zero space if possible.

What I did was take some scrap 3/4 melamine and cut strips 24" long and about 2" wide. I glued a piece of 1/2" birch ply cut to length and just tall enough to put the melamine a smidge below the height of the saw table. The 1/2" ply fits perfectly in the groove in the back rail.

Then I screwed/glued a brace made of scrap wood to hold up the back of the melamine. It fits into a french cleat I attached to the back of the mobile base.

I have four of these suckers - they come off and store away when I don't need them. When I do need them they pop on and can be placed left and right where ever I need them for the width of the piece I'm cutting.

The first pic is the front of the mobile base.
    The second is the outfeed brace as mounted to the back.
    The third is a close up of how it mounts to the rail (the 1/2 ply is longer than the brace is wide).
    The fourth is a close up of the brace fitting into the french cleat
    The fifth is the underside of how the brace is attached to the melamine.
    Attached Files
    www.CEOBootCamp.com
    Tools to help you run your business better
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Looks like a small space solution. Thanks for posting.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

A late friend of mine, had another small space solution. He used ironing board. One on either side of the blade. The second one he told the wife, was for the greasy shop clothes (retired pilot, machinist and mechanic).
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• gad5264
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Columbus, Ohio, USA
        • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Very nice idea.
        Grant
        "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• Tom Willcox

Thanks for the great idea--just this morning I was looking at my shop and saw, trying to figure out a solution to the exact same problem! Now I know what I will be doing later tonight.....

Comment

Working...