Clear All
  • FNILLES
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2006
    • Chicago suburb
    • Craftsman 21829

Oldham 6" stacked dado set ?

Yesterday I bought a stacked dado set at my local Menards. It is an Oldham
    6" carbide set, their part# 600-5818. I was leary at first because of the low price (around $40) , but it came with a 100% satisfaction gaurantee, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Last night I mounted the full set, it ran nice and smooth, and I was pleasantly surprised at the results of some test cuts that I made with it!
    Flat bottoms and clean shoulders and edges.
    The test cuts were only on some scrap pine...I'll try some oak next!

That has been my limited experience with it so far, and I was wondering if anyone else has used this set for a longer time and what they thought of it!
    Plus the packaging and blades are stamped made in the USA.
    Fred
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by FNILLES
    Yesterday I bought a stacked dado set at my local Menards. It is an Oldham
    6" carbide set, their part# 600-5818. I was leary at first because of the low price (around $40) , but it came with a 100% satisfaction gaurantee, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Last night I mounted the full set, it ran nice and smooth, and I was pleasantly surprised at the results of some test cuts that I made with it!
    Flat bottoms and clean shoulders and edges.
    The test cuts were only on some scrap pine...I'll try some oak next!

That has been my limited experience with it so far, and I was wondering if anyone else has used this set for a longer time and what they thought of it!
    Plus the packaging and blades are stamped made in the USA.
    did the final width stack up correctly as the sum of the nominal plates and chipper (1/8 and 1/16th sizes) sizes? This was the shortcoming of the discontinued cheap Avengers.
    Do you have calipers to measure?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-01-2007, 11:26 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• FNILLES
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2006
      • Chicago suburb
      • Craftsman 21829

If I remember correctly...the full set came out about 7/8" W, and 3/4" W when I left out one chipper.

Fred
      Fred

Comment

• burrellski
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Saint Joseph, MO.

One thing to consider is the Max RPM the set is rated for. I was not able to find the info on Oldham's site, but the BT3 spins significantly faster than most other saws. Thats a lot of steel and carbide to worry about if you're exceeding the rated RPM's.

Comment

• FNILLES
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2006
          • Chicago suburb
          • Craftsman 21829

I'll double check tonight, but I believe it was rated at 9 or 10000 RPM's. It was stamped on the outer blades! I felt OK when I saw that and it ran really smooth...no bad vibes...LOL
          Fred

Comment

Working...