• Show
Clear All
  • charger1966
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Amsterdam, New York
    • Shopsmith 10ER (1948),BT3100 New to me January 2007

Setting up BT31k for Routering

Hey, I'm setting up my BT31k to router. I bought a new inexpensive plunge router and have it all mounted. My question is , Should I remove the springs from it? And Will I be able to to Raised panels with it? Let me know what you think please.
    Thanks
    Lance

If I can't fix it , it aint broke!
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Lance,

Removing the springs is optional; some do, some don't. With them removed you won't have to fight them when adjusting the bit height ... how big an issue this is depends on the strength of the springs, as some are quite stiff (Hitachi, Makita, P-C 69x series) and others are pretty light and silky (Bosch, DeWalt).

Panel-raising bits are typically large in diameter, and massive, which means you need a variable-speed router because it's dangerous to run them at a router's typical full speed of ~25K RPM. Another problem is that they are often too big to fit through the hole in the BT's accessory table (which I'm assuming is where you have your router mounted). If you have a VS router and the bit is small enough to fit through the hole, you're good to go.

If not, another option is a vertical panel raising bit, which turns the panel profile 90deg and thus makes the bit taller but smaller in diameter. With these, the workpiece is fed past the bit standing on edge against the fence, rather than laying flat on the table. These bits are small enough to fit through the hole in the acc'y table. Some of them are still a bit too large to run wide-open, though, so you'd still need variable speed.
    Larry

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Routers that have 'above table' adjustment feature don't need springs removed - but if your's does not, removing springs will probably make height adjustment easier.

Far as raised panels go, there are two things: speed and power. Large panel bits need a lot of power. 3HP is recommended, though some 2.25HP routers work out fine. For speed, you need to be ble to drop router speed to about 11000-14000RPM. If your router is not variable speed, you'll need to get a speed control.
      Finally, larger diameter bits might have problems with BT3's mounting hole - they are too large for it. Keep that in mind when buying bits.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by scorrpio
        Routers that have 'above table' adjustment feature don't need springs removed - but if your's does not, removing springs will probably make height adjustment easier.

Far as raised panels go, there are two things: speed and power. Large panel bits need a lot of power. 3HP is recommended, though some 2.25HP routers work out fine. For speed, you need to be ble to drop router speed to about 11000-14000RPM. If your router is not variable speed, you'll need to get a speed control.
        Finally, larger diameter bits might have problems with BT3's mounting hole - they are too large for it. Keep that in mind when buying bits.
        Larry and Scorrpio - both excellent responses.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Some good answers on the router and speed but one more thing -

If the bit is too big to fit through the hole in the acc table it is possible to mount the bit in the router after the router is in the table. A bit tight space wise but it works. You can also add a sacrificial piece of 1/4 MDF or ply to the table top so you can lower the bit down flush with this top and not catch the aluminum.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• charger1966
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Amsterdam, New York
            • Shopsmith 10ER (1948),BT3100 New to me January 2007

Router set up

Well I did it. I got the BT31k set up with the router today. I actually did some raised panels on it. It took some time to teach myself the best way to do it but I did it. Then I made my duaghter a new table for her room at college. Some but nice. It's all MDF let over from another project. I'm painting it now. So Thank you for all the info it was truely helpfull.
            Lance

Comment

Working...