X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jlm17
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007

bts15 versus bt3100/confusion

I would like to get a table saw that is of good quality, inexpensive and good bang-for-the-buck. It appears that the BT3100 should be my table of choice to meet these needs. Unfortunately, I do not see the BT3100 at Home Depot. I also do not see this saw at Ryobi's web site. In fact a search on their site for the BT3100 only brings up the 8pc accessory kit. I think their search is flawed, because I do see the manuals for it in that section of their web site.

Has Ryobi discontinued this saw? Is the BTS15 their next version of the BT3K series? If the BT3100 is such a good saw (not just from this forum, but I've read other rave reviews of this saw), then why would Ryobi discontinue it without an updated model?

Does anyone know of any reviews of the BTS15? I could not find any, and only a few mentions of it here stating that it was an inferior saw to the BT3100. I've read more than one account that says that the BTS15 is direct driven, and that this method of power transfer is inferior to belt drive systems. I question this, since when I was in the market for a chop saw I read just the opposite about the Makita saw, which I bought.

I have seen a few mentions of a Craftsman saw that is a rebranded BT3100, but sells for $450. Now we are talking serious money, and rather diminished bang-for-the-buck. If I'm going to start looking at $450 table saws, it's just a small jump to $500 and $600 high-quality saws from Dewalt and Ridgid. Some say you can find the Craftsman for $400, but that it comes with the accessories. Well, since this is my first table saw, I'm not even sure that I would need or use the accessories.

Any answers to my questions above, or other additional information to help me make an informed purchase would be greatly appreciated.

Just another wood worker trying to make sense of it all.
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

The BT3100 has been discontinued (unfortunately). You can look for one cheap in HD (some stores may still have stock) or look for one used on-line - they often appear on craigslist.com

Do not get the BTS15. It is not meant for anything other than light-duty use and you will outgrow it quickly. If you are willing to make the price jump then probably the Dewalt or Rigid saw is what you want. However the sears saw does come with features such as the sliding mitre table that the other saws do not have.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Welcome to the forum!

As you have discovered, Yes, Ryobi has discontinued the great BT3100 saw. There have been rumors that an updated replacement is soon to appear. As for why Ryobi would stop selling this saw we can only guess, and if you were to read all of the posts in this sub-forum you will find all kinds of answers but nothing clearly from Ryobi.

Way back when there was a BT3000 saw the saw had a much smaller following and the saw cost much more. Some of us "old timers" spent in excess of $400 for our saws and considered that a bargain then and in hindsight still do.

You will have to decide for yourself if the Sears clone saw is the right one for you, just as purchasers have had to in the past. The design of the BT3 line of saws is out of the box thinking and uses newer technology. With proper care and use it has proven to last for years. There are now many more choices out there for saws and some of the BT's most ardent supporters have since moved on to other saws. I have not, and am still happy with mine, although if I had the money to upgrade I would give it serious thought.

For hobby use the Sears clone is a good saw that can be servicable for years. It, given proper care and use, can remain accurate with little fiddling and without having to replace parts. Unlike some saws in the same price range it already comes with a great fence and is very smooth (i.e. it should pass the nickle test!)

Good luck on your quest for a suitable tablesaw.
      Last edited by Black wallnut; 01-21-2007, 03:38 PM.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

You might find a used BT3100. Sometimes the Craftsman goes on sale in the $360 range.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Black wallnut
          ...You will have to decide for yourself if the Sears clone saw is the right one for you, ...
          Good luck on your quest for a suitable tablesaw.

The sears is more than a clone. A clone to me implies an unauthorized copy. It is the BT3100 made by Ryobi for Sears with some cosmetic and hardware changes.
          The basic saw is the same - same motor, same mechanisms, same aluminum table and rail system, same SMT, and same fence. Most of the BT3100 fans like the above items.

The changes are: paint scheme, the portable folding, rolling base, a generic blade, and a revised Auxiliary table which can accept a router without mounting kit. The auxlilary table also has miter slots BUT be forwarned that they are not aligned to the blade so can only be used for router use.

So the Sears saw is often sold for $399 and think of the extra cost over the BT3100 is for the fancy base and the new auxiliary table.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rlah
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2006
            • Indiana
            • Craftsman 21829

BT3Craftsman

Originally posted by jlm17
            I have seen a few mentions of a Craftsman saw that is a rebranded BT3100, but sells for $450. Now we are talking serious money, and rather diminished bang-for-the-buck....
            As a new Craftsman 21829 (BT3Craftsman) buyer, I'll agree the list price of $450 is a bit high and makes one look around. But I actually paid the *full* price because of 1) the very smooth folding, mobile base, 2) the "compactness" for the tight floorspace in my garage, and 3) the incredible service at this website. This last point is not a small one as I find the service from most manufacturers far below my expections.

Now I subsequently got the "Black Friday" price of $350 because of some fast moves... but I would probably still pay the full price... for the reasons stated above.

Originally posted by jlm17
            If the BT3100 is such a good saw (not just from this forum, but I've read other rave reviews of this saw), then why would Ryobi discontinue it without an updated model?...
            I spoke with a Ridgid (a sister company) rep at the Indy Woodworking Show last weekend about the sad reduction of Ryobi's tool line - no more 1) BT3100 table saw, 2) AP1300 planer, or 3) RE600 router. He was a young guy but said the Ryobi BT3100 wasn't selling enough to keep it in their line-up. This seems strange to me and I agree with your statement above.

If I had plenty of room dedicated for my woodworking needs, and plenty of money, I'd probably go for a bigger, heavier, and better TS, but this one fits *perfectly* for my "hobbyist" needs. And as this website shows, it has also met the needs of a lot of others.

rlah

Comment

• prlundberg
              Established Member
              • May 2006
              • Minnesota
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by rlah
              If I had plenty of room dedicated for my woodworking needs, and plenty of money, I'd probably go for a bigger, heavier, and better TS, but this one fits *perfectly* for my "hobbyist" needs. And as this website shows, it has also met the needs of a lot of others.

rlah
              As a 21829 owner, I agree. There are better saws out there, but at this price and for what I use it for the 21829 is just about perfect.

I think the mobile base is worth the money, but most people would probably like to see it as an option. Sears uses the mobile base to market it as a contractor's saw, which it really isn't.
              Phil

Comment

Working...